Add auto-fill credential for Mac local admin account?

TravelSD
TravelSD
Community Member

Love the universal autofill! However, I haven't figured out a way to add my local Mac admin account credentials. For example, if I go into System Settings on Ventura and try to add a finger print, up pops a login box for my local Mac admin creds. 1Password universal autofill only lists my iCloud account which of course doesn't work. I don't see any hint in the 1Password window on what "URL" the universal autofill is keying off of so that I could manually create a login entry and use the "URL" that it thinks it saw.

1Password Version: 8.9.12
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Ventura
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• andrew.l_1P
    edited January 2023

Hi @TravelSD,

You can use 1Password to autofill your local Mac admin account by creating a Mac login item. This will fall under your Login category of items but have the unique property of being linked to your Mac login. Here's a link to our guide to set this up: Autofill your Mac Login

Give that a try and let me know how it goes. 🙂

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

Perfect, that worked! Thanks. Just as a discoverability hint, it might be nice when 1Password is installed on a Mac for the first time to ask the user if they wish to store their Mac/sudo password. I had no idea you could!

• andrew.l_1P
    edited January 2023

I like that idea, @TravelSD! I'll pass it along to the rest of the team, thanks for sharing it. I'm glad to hear the Mac login item is working well for you, let me know if you have any questions in the future. 🙂

ref: PB-29794974

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

Ok so I added two Mac logins (work/personal). Now when I use the autofill on either Mac I get 4 credentials in the list when I use universal autofill:
    1) The correct Mac login
    2) Mac login for my other Mac
    3) iCloud credentials
    4) My work email (MS365)

So two things: 1) Would be nice to store in 1P behind the scenes which Mac credential was stored for each Mac
    2) Not sure why my iCloud and Work MS365 account is listed

Would be great to cleanup that list.

This discussion has been closed.