Exporting only SELECTED data to another person

Options
sfbatreas
sfbatreas
Community Member

Hi folks -- have searched for this but can't find posts directly relevant. I am treasurer of a not-for-profit and use my 1Password account to store the organization's passwords & data. Now a new treasurer has been elected, and I need to export some -- but NOT all -- of my data to the new person. Found plenty of information on how to export to .csv, and the new treasurer's password manager can import from that file type so no problem there. Also found info on how to export from a 1Password account to a .csv file, so got that. Problem is, I don't want to export ALL my information to the treasurer -- it's mostly personal accounts. So how can we do a selective export only? I assumed the best course was to create a new 1Password account for the organization, with it's own separate login, and then add it to my 1Password family account. Then copy the organization's logins and secure notes into the new account. But this makes me nervous because I don't want to blow it and somehow expose all our personal data in unecrypted form anywhere, even on our home PC. So just checking if there is any advice on what to do or watch out for. Many thanks! Kevin

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Firefox preferred, Chrome available

Comments

• sfbatreas
    sfbatreas
    Community Member
    Options

Heard back from 1Password support (thanks Nate!) yesterday and just wanted to add to this thread in case anyone else has the same question. Unfortunately the links in their reply have been lost during the cut & paste below, but the general idea is clear ... Kevin

Hello Kevin,
    Thank you for contacting 1Password! My name is Nate from 1Password support and I'd be happy to help you today.
    While I totally understand why selective importing and exporting would be of value, at this time, it is not possible.
    In 1Password 8, it is only possible to export your entire account. In 1Password 7, there is a workaround, as you have the ability to export certain vaults. If you'd like to temporarily revert to 1Password 7, you can create a new vault with the items you'd like to export, then complete the export.
    Before moving forward with the next steps, have your Emergency Kit at hand and ensure you're able to log in and out of your account on 1Password.com. Once you can confirm your Emergency Kit details are correct you can then continue:
    1. Uninstall 1Password 8.
    2. Install 1Password 7 here:
    o 1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever (You will need to scroll down quite a bit until you see "Download 1Password 7".
    Once 1Password 7 has been reinstalled, you can create a new vault:
    • Create a vault
    You can then copy all of the items you'd like to export into this new vault:
    • Move and copy items
    Once all of the data has been added to the new vault, you'll be able to export it:
    • Export your 1Password data
    Let me know how this goes and if you run into any trouble, please don't hesitate to reach out. I'd be happy to assist further.
    All the best,
    Nate
    Customer Support @ 1Password

• @sfbatreas

I'm happy that you were able to find a workaround to accomplish your goal. 🙂

-Dave

• emurphy25
    emurphy25
    Community Member
    Options

In Password8, as noted in the post above, you can only export logins for all of your vaults in a individual 1Password account. I found a way to identify logins exported for each of my vaults on my 1Password account using Password8 (and not have to switch to Password7 and also not have to set up a separate accounts in a 1Password Family plan). I used a Tag to identify the vault. I created a Tag name starting with the number 1 for each of my vaults. For example, the tag names could be "1Assoc" for one vault, and "1Personal" for a second Vault. The reason for having the number 1 at the beginning of the Vault name is so that Vault shows up first on your tag list since they are shown in alphabetical order with numbers taking priority over letters. If you use more than one Tag to organize your logins, you can assign Tag names that start with the number 2, 3, etc. if you want them listed in a specific order. After adding a Tag name to identify the Vault for each login in each of my vaults, I then exported a CSV file that contained the logins for all of my Vaults. I then opened the exported CSV file, and I was able to sort the list of logins by the "Tag" column; that resulted in a list of logins sorted by Vault. :-) If you used more than one Tag, the login list will be further sorted by those Tag names. You can then create separate CSV files that have only the logins for each Vault. (You can also take advantage of the "Title" column for even further sorting of the logins.)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@emurphy25

The onepux converter in the converter suite can convert to CSV, either monolithic, or per-category. The converter has the option to select one or more vaults by name. You can see output examples at the suite's download location under Examples > 1PUX to CSV. It is easy to have the converter create simply Logins, or any other categories. The CSV file(s) includes the vault name.

So, you don't need to go though the trouble of tagging the way you are doing now.

I've considered adding an option to select by Tag, or other fields. If that would be useful, let me know what you need.

• emurphy25
    emurphy25
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate your response, but I was not able to create a CSV file using the onepux converter. I followed the instructions on the README file in the MC Converter folder located on my desktop, but seem to run into problems with Step 6: The converter needs a few additional Perl modules that are not included with Strawberry Perl. Enter the command: .\install_modules.bat.

FYI, I did install Strawberry Perl, the 64-bit version. It is located in my C drive in a "Strawberry"

Here's what appeared on my command prompt after entering the above command:

Looking for required perl modules...
    ---- App::cpanminus
    ---- Good

XML::XPath ----
    Needs installing
    'cpanm' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    +++ Module installation failed

Bit::Vector ----
    Needs installing

Date::Calc ----
    Needs installing

Win32::Unicode::File ----
    Needs force installing

Done installing required modules.

Despite the above, I did try to follow Step 7 in the README file instructions, but did not succeed ... probably due to the error messages above about "Module installation failed".

Any advice on how to resolve the above?

• emurphy25
    emurphy25
    Community Member
    Options

I also wonder why the CSV export option on 1Password that just includes the logins doesn't include a field with the Vault name. Is there any reason for that?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @emurphy25

This is the problem. This would be caused if you did not let the Strawberry Perl installer update your Windows PATH, so that the commands can be found. You can verify this by just trying to run the command perl. If the Windows command shell indicates it is not found, PATH is the issue. Alternatively, you can use the path command to see PATH's contents:

You can add the PATH values manually:

Open Windows' Start menu, type in Environment and select the item shown in the screenshot:

Then, in this dialog, select **Environment Variables...":

That will open yet another dialog. Edit the PATH variable in the lower section of that dialog, adding the values shown:

Here are the values for easy copy / paste:

C:\Strawberry\c\bin
    C:\Strawberry\perl\site\bin
    C:\Strawberry\perl\bin

Close out the dialogs, and re-launch the command shell, open a new one, and change directories to the mrc-converter-suite folder as per the README. Then, re-run the modules installer script. With that completed, you should be able run the conversion.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I also wonder why the CSV export option on 1Password that just includes the logins doesn't include a field with the Vault name. Is there any reason for that?

My guess is that the CSV export is limited because:

1. Exporting to plaintext is not something users should regularly be doing
    2. It is primary used by people leaving 1Password (so it's not a value add for most current customers)
    3. The format is incapable of capturing the complexity of the data stored in your vault(s)

I suppose 1Password has to draw a line somewhere, and perhaps the Vault name was just one of those fields that didn't register as important. 1PUX is where they've spent their time and energy - it is comprehensive, and with it, you can get (almost) everything regarding your vault data.

• emurphy25
    emurphy25
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for your quick & thorough reply. I did exactly what you suggested and got past the errors shown on my previous post. Now I am running into problems with this command:

C:\Users\eliza\Desktop\mrc-converter-suite>perl convert.pl -v onepux ..\pm_export.1pux
    The onepux converter can only generate the following format(s):

csv

Provide the --to_format option to specify a generator.

C:\Users\eliza\Desktop\mrc-converter-suite>perl convert.pl -v onepux ..\pm_export.1pux --to_csv
    The onepux converter can only generate the following format(s):

csv

Provide the --to_format option to specify a generator.

Obviously, the text I used on the Command Prompt is not working. Could you please provide me with the correct text that I will need to add to the Command Prompt to get the conversion to work? FYI, my exported 1pux file is located on my desktop and is named: pm_export.1pux

I appreciate your help!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Great progress, @emurphy25 . You are very close!

Try:

perl convert.pl -v onepux ..\pm_export.1pux --to_format csv

• emurphy25
    emurphy25
    Community Member
    Options

It worked! Thank you so much!!!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Excellent, @emurphy25

Use the --percategory option to get one CSV / category.

Let me know if there's anything more I can help with regarding this.

This discussion has been closed.