How do you select a different generated password?

LittleMac23
LittleMac23
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Mac

New to 1Password so I don't know where to start.

When I add a new site 1Password generates a password. What if the generated password doesn't meet the website's requirements and you want to generate a new password but change the criteria, i.e. letters, numbers and special characters? How do you change the password generator's default settings so the the default applies to any new website?

Sorry for the noob question but I'm confused. Do you have to change the default settings per site? (ugh)

Thanks in advance for any help.

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6.1
Browser:_ Safari 16.1

Comments

• Hi @LittleMac23,

Firstly, welcome to 1Password and our Support Community, we're glad you're here! The password generator will vary a bit depending on where you're using it.

In the Mac app, you can adjust your password preferences within the password generator itself. This includes toggling on/off numbers and symbols or generating a new password altogether by clicking the refresh button in the middle:

If you're using the 1Password browser extension, you can access the password generator there as well:

In it you'll see some additional options. One of which is the "Smart password" type, which will generate a password for you based on the rules provided by the website you're on:

I also highlighted the option to "Use as default for suggestions" which is an option you can enable for other password types. This will offer those generated passwords as the inline suggestions when you're registering for new accounts:

Whatever parameters you choose in each password generator will persist on that platform. Give these a try and let me know how it goes or if you have any questions. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.