1Password for Safari Extension - settings will not "stick"

Options
matthewlee
matthewlee
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi. I'm a long time 1Password user - probably for close to 15 years now. I have found the entire update to v8 over the last year to easily be my most frustrating experience with 1Password. I have a specific problem with the 1Password for Safari Extension that is not version specific - it's a problem I've had with each and every version. Specifically, when I right-click on the 1PW icon in the Safari toolbar to edit Settings, the settings that I choose do not "stick", in that within a day or so, the settings will be back to the default settings. There are several settings that I always change. First, I do not EVER use the Private vault, so I always change the "Save New Items In" to my primary vault. But it keeps on resetting back to Private. Second, when on Safari I find the 1PW offers to fill and save PWs very intruding. So I always turn off all of the items in the Autofill category. But here I am this morning, for the billionth time, finding that the settings in 1PW are back to the defaults. The only thing that I can think of is that I routinely clear my History and/or browse in a Private window. I would hope that these choices in how I browse shouldn't result in the 1PW for Safari settings constantly resetting to their defaults. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: macOS 12.6.3
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hello @matthewlee,

We appreciate the feedback you’ve provided on your experience with the new version of 1Password. I’m sorry to hear it’s been less than stellar, and I’ll be happy to help get things on track.

1Password for Safari maintains a connection to our encrypted servers which allows its functions to work properly. However, if your browser's cache, cookies, or history is cleared, that database connection is wiped, and the extensions settings are reset to default.

One alternative is to open Safari in a private window, which would not save the details of your browsing history, and then use 1Password from there.

I hope this helps, @matthewlee. I look forward to hearing from you.

• matthewlee
    matthewlee
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I have set up Safari to permanently open in a private window.

• On behalf of Evon, you are welcome @matthewlee.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all!

This discussion has been closed.