How can I disable lenient URL matching for all or certain Logins?

Options
MikeTheCanuck
MikeTheCanuck
Community Member
edited February 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi folks, I've been trying to migrate myself away from a years-long reliance on Chrome/Brave autofill, now that 1Password's browser extension has its own UI that competes with the autofill dropdown.

One major challenge that's become apparent is that 1Password is much more generous about which login it offers, despite my having specified subdomains in each Login entry.

Whereas Chrome & Brave seem to only offer those logins that exactly match the associated URL, 1Password offers me every password that shares the domain.com URL suffix with the site I'm logging into.

As a convenience under certain conditions, I can see how this would be helpful for those folks who have just auto-saved logins (especially when so many web sites play funny games with multiple subdomains to manage SSO, federated services and otherwise spreading their web footprint across many fragments domains).

For me, having spent so much time curating the "website" entries in my Logins to try to get appropriate matches, it's extremely frustrating to get long lists of passwords that I have to stop, cognitively engage in a hunt, and scroll down to select.

e.g. I do explicitly intend to have some Logins that work only for subdomain1.domain.com (and shouldn't be offered when I'm on subdomain2.domain.com). And I do intend to allow some Logins to be offered for any subdomain (e.g. I'll configure a Login for domain.net and expect it to be offered for both subdomain1.domain.net as well as subdomain3.domain.net).

Unfortunately, whereas in the past it seems like 1Password offered an explicit toggle to users to enable/disable this leniency, I'm unable to find any control either at the Login, Vault or application level today.

What can I do to see my one (or three) Login for a specific domain, rather than the 12 others that I have for other test subdomains?

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: 2.5.2
OS Version: macOS 13.0.1
Browser:_ Brave
Referrer: forum-search:How can I disable lenient URL matching for all or certain Logins?

Comments

• Hey, @MikeTheCanuck. We've added some changes around customizing autofill behavior in the beta versions of 1Password, starting with 8.9.11-1:

You can choose when a Login item is displayed as an autofill suggestion on a website. Edit the item, then click beside the website field to see the available settings.

I'd love for us to get your feedback on this, if you'd like to give the beta a try.

• MikeTheCanuck
    MikeTheCanuck
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_michaelc My apologies for leaving you in the dark here. Can I say how awesome the "custom Autofill behaviour" is? It's not quite perfect (I'd like a little more micromanagement control), but it's been so fantastic that as soon as I learned that it was in the Nightly channel builds I've been running those Nightlies on two of my Macs ever since.

• Hey @MikeTheCanuck,

That's awesome to hear!

If you'd like to provide a little more information on the micromanagement control you would like to see I'd be happy to pass your use case on to our product team for consideration in future updates.

This discussion has been closed.