Format of a login very different when viewing and when editing

Options
DerringDo
DerringDo
Community Member

Recently migrated from V6 to V8, and still working out bugs.

At least one login appears very different if one views it directly, or if one goes to edit it. Unfortunately, it looks "correct" in the edit mode. I had taken some effort to put in extra lines, and spaces so the information was easily readable, or simple to copy out. In V8, when NOT in edit, much of this is run together, and not the way I need it.

Even if I remove the extra lines, and then re-add them, nothing changes. Once I exit the edit mode, it's formatted back to the appearance I don't want. It's a bank account, so I don't want to give a screen cap... Thanks for all help.

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ventura 13.0
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• @DerringDo

Without seeing what the item looks like I would just be guessing. What kind of field contains the broken text? Is it in the item's notes field? Or a custom text field?

Would it be possible for you to duplicate the item and replace the private sensitive text with placeholder text that still demonstrates the issue? That would allow you to share a screenshot so that I could better understand the situation. 🙂

-Dave

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

It does reproduce. This is in the Notes field. Generally, I try to make the information easy to see, so I use blank lines and spaces (not tabs) to make them clear.

If you look at the field during "edit" they look the way I want them to look. If you save the Login, you get the lines run together. It appears it is the 4-6 blank spaces in front of the "person" information which cause this to happen.

And thanks for taking the time on this.

• Hi @DerringDo,

Thanks for reproducing this and sharing that screenshot. I suspect this is related to Markdown so you have a couple options for a workaround:

The first would be to disable Markdown altogether in the settings for 1Password 8:

Alternatively, you could explore some different markdown options to visually separate this data. For example, formatting them as quotes would look like this in edit vs. displayed states:

imageimage

You can find more information about Markdown within 1Password on our website: Format your secure notes with Markdown

Let me know if you give those a try or have any questions. 🙂

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Andrew, for the options. Went with disabling Markdown entirely, and it formats as I want (and expect.) Should have tried that myself, if I'd thought about it. Again, I appreciate the direction.

• Happy to help! I'm glad disabling Markdown works for you, I'm a plain text fan as well. 😁

This discussion has been closed.