Firefox add-on failed to install - cannot modify the needed file

keithag
keithag
Community Member

When I try to install the Firefox 1Password add-on on a Mac I get the error: "about:addons 1Password - Password Manager could not be installed because Firefox cannot modify the needed file."

I also tried to download the add-on and install from the file by using:
Firefox -> Preferences -> Extensions and Themes -> Click the Gear -> Install the add-on from File
and point to the downloaded .xpi file. This gives me the same error.

Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Monterey 12.5
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:cannot modify the needed file

Comments

• Hi @keithag,

Sorry to hear you're getting this error. To confirm, are you installing the browser extension from this link? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1password-x-password-manager/

If the issue persists, try launching Firefox in Troubleshoot mode and give it another try: Diagnose Firefox issues using Troubleshoot Mode | Firefox Help

Let me know how that goes or if you have any questions. 🙂

• keithag
    keithag
    Community Member

Hi andrew, thank you for responding. Yes, I am using that link and yes, the issue persists even in Troubleshoot mode. In case it is helpful, I had the same problem with the plugin for Keeper. However, I read on a support site that I had to download the xpi file and manually load it which worked for Keeper. I have not been able to get the 1Password addon to load for 1Password. ( i tried Keeper and didn't like it - that is why I downloaded 1Password ).

• keithag
    keithag
    Community Member

Success after Refresh Firefox!

• @keithhag

Sounds great and thank you for letting us know. You mentioned 12.5 in your introduction. I would recommend considering an update of macOS to 12.6.3, at your convenience.

This discussion has been closed.