Icons in 1Password logins change

Options
martinliss
martinliss
Community Member
edited February 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I still use 1Password 7 because I have a couple of problems with version 8's UI. In any case, once in a while when I go to 1Password 7 I see that one or more login icons have changed. Simply editing any login and saving without making any changes resolves the issue, but is there anything I can do to prevent the icons from changing in the first place?

1Password Version: 7.9.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @martinliss! 👋

I'm sorry that you're seeing icons change by themselves in 1Password 7. Are you able to send me a list of steps that I can follow to reproduce the issue on my end? Does it always happen with the same login items? If it does then what website addresses are associated with the affected login items? Are you using custom icons or 1Password provided rich icons?

Obligatory reminder: With the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. We strongly encourage you to update to the latest and greatest version as soon as you have the chance.

-Dave

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member
    Options

I can't supply steps because I've never seen the moment of change. I have 1Password 7 open all the time and all I know is that every once in a while I see incorrect icons.

"We strongly encourage you to update to the latest and greatest version as soon as you have the chance". I would do that if only double-clicking a logon would jump to the website as it does with 7.

• @martinliss

Thank you for the reply. The next time that you see the icon issue happen can you please try to note the following:

1. Is the affected item using a custom icon that you assigned to it or a rich icon provided by 1Password?
    2. Is the new icon one that you recognize? Does it match the icon of another item in your vault?

I would do that if only double-clicking a logon would jump to the website as it does with 7.

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the product team. In the meantime, you can still Open and fill from 1Password 8 by clicking on the website address in a Login Item.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#10046
    ref: PB-30873286

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member
    Options

I can answer #1 now; I don't use any custom icons.

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, as I said it doesn't happen very often but just now I saw this.

All of the icons marked with a red arrow are wrong.

Here is what it should look like.

• @martinliss

Thank you for the screenshots. It looks like this is a known issue that was fixed in 1Password 8 and I recommend that you update as soon as you can. I've let the developers know that you're affected but, since we're now focused on developing 1Password 8, 1Password 7 will no longer receive regular updates. I'm sorry again that you ran into the issue.

-Dave

ref: apple-4542

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member
    Options

Is the double-clicking of a login in 1Password 8 to take you to the website anywhere on the horizon?

• @martinliss

The change in 1Password 8 was a single click in the center and then click again on the URL section in the 3rd column. I'd b happy to let the team know you're interested in the previous behavior. Assuming I am on the correct path. Is that what you had in mind?

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member
    Options

Yes it is. Some time ago I had a discussion with probably another team member and I was told that the feature request would be passed up the line. I don't know if that happened, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see it done.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023
    Options

Yes, the feature request is in. We've had several requests for its return. We'll continue to advocate on your behalf. From one old timer like myself I could certainly use this too.

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member
    Options

I'm a computer programmer and while I'm probably not familiar with the language that your 1Password programmers use, all I can say is that the code that's in V7 should to be easily copied to V8.

• @martinliss

Thank you for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.