Safari Extension and Touch ID no longer play together

Options
kevbob
kevbob
Community Member

Ahoy! Yes, I did search this topic, found some similar threads, but I didn't see a resolution that will work for me.

Problem: I use 1P 8.9.15 and Safari on macOS Ventura. The 1P extension is now requiring I use the password after the app time limit which I think I have set for 1 hour. (Meaning, 1P is supposed to accept Touch ID after that hour at the very least.) Then when the 1Password app itself is unlocked. This was working fine until just recently, like, within the last day. What could have gone wrong? What do I need to do to get back to the behavior before, meaning, I can use Touch ID with the Safari extension. I haven't fiddled with any of the preferences of the app or the laptop.

thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Jason9
    Jason9
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the exact same issue.

• kevbob
    kevbob
    Community Member
    Options

Some more info:

I rebooted my MacBook Air, no change. I entered in the master password, and then put the screensaver on to make me need to auth with 1P again. Went to a site to login, and clicking the locked 1P widget in the login user name field, the 1P extension modal opened and requested my password. There was no fingerprint icon next to the PW field which would prompt me to touch the keyboard widget.

I tried this in Firefox and that extension recognizes Touch ID. (Yes, I realize this is a separate extension, and that Safari support is built into 1P 8.)

I'm stumped.

• Hello @kevbob and @Jason9! 👋

I'm sorry that Touch ID isn't working to unlock 1Password for Safari on your Macs. As a start, can you make sure that you have the latest version of 1Password for Safari installed: 1Password for Safari on the Mac App Store

Next, please try the following steps:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon at the top of your Mac's screen and then click Quit. Wait until the icon disappears.
    3. Double-click on 1Password from your Mac's Application folder.
    4. Open your web browser.

Let me know if that fixes the issue. I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• kevbob
    kevbob
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave

I followed those steps, and indeed that did it. Thank you. What could have caused it to cease working, any idea?

• @kevbob

1Password for Safari relies on the 1Password for Mac desktop app for things like Touch ID. It sounds like the communication between the Safari browser extension and the desktop app broke down which is why you could no longer use Touch ID in Safari. The browser extension in Firefox would have it's own separate connection to the desktop app so it makes sense that Touch ID was still working there. Closing and then reopening both the browser and the desktop app allows for the connection to be reestablished.

I'm happy that Touch ID is working again in Safari on your Mac. 🙂

-Dave

• scottrier
    scottrier
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the exact same issue. Initially it just seemed to be an annoyance. But, now it is asking for me to click almost every time I try to use it. My 1Password says it's up to date for my 2022 MacBook Pro—version 8.9.15.

I have run through what you suggested above (quitting Safari and 1Password and relaunching). I'm getting the exact same behavior—no Touch ID, just asks me to click the 1Password icon.

Any other suggestions of what the issue may be, or how to resolve?

Thanks!

• @scottrier

Try the following:

1. Turn off - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser
    2. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then disable Integrate with 1Password app.
    3. Quit the browser completely! A full quit, not a close or minimize to the dock.
    4. Quit 1Password. While looking at the main window (locked or unlocked)
      • Press Command and Q 1Password should lock and close.
    5. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock.
    6. Turn On - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser
    7. Open your browser.
    8. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then enable Integrate with 1Password app.

If this doesn't help we may need to get you into email support where we can gather logs. support+forum@1password.com if you need to write in.

• kevbob
    kevbob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave, to be sure- restarting browser and laptop didn't fix it, only updating the 1P for Safari did.

• Appreciate your confirmation, @kevbob!

@scottrier, you mentioned your 1Password Mac app was up to date, could you confirm your 1Password browser extension is as well? You can find some additional guidance for this on our website if you're interested: How to keep 1Password up to date in your browser

Let me know what you find and we can troubleshoot further from there. 🙂

• kevbob
    kevbob
    Community Member
    Options

Andrew, yesterday I confirmed it was resolved. My followup was in response to Dave mentioning closing and reopening the browser reestablished a connection. I explained, I did do those things already when it was not working and that did not help. The only thing that worked was that my 1P for Safari extension app got an update. I was just curious what might have gone wrong, but it's all conjecture, I realize. Again, this is no longer an issue, I was just providing my additional context to what made it work (when it should probably not have broken at all). That's it- this probably has no real answer, I get that- software glitches are ephemeral.

• @kevbob

Thank you for the additional information. We'll keep an eye out for further reports of the issue. 🙂

-Dave

• josmac
    josmac
    Community Member
    Options

Just a note, I too experienced this problem. It cropped up with the last update to the Safari extension. The solution @ag_tommy provided worked for me. Thanks!

Joseph

• @josmac

I'm happy to hear that Tommy's instructions helped and that everything is working again. 🙂

-Dave

• GeoffMather
    GeoffMather
    Community Member
    Options

Are you experts willing to revisit this issue? It once worked for me that signing into 1Password via the icon in Safari would give me a pop up window with a finger print and accept touch ID. Now that is doesn't work, I miss it. I carefully followed the process suggested by ag_tommy and it doesn't work for me. Because it once worked, should I suspect some problem in a plist somewhere and delete that file?
    But first Q: Is this still supposed to work now or did something change?
    I have a MacBookPro 16" with M1 chip running Ventura 13.5 And 1Password is 8.10.8
    with 1Password for Safari being 2.13.0
    I have tried deleting 1Pwd for Safari and reinstalling, but that just brings it back from the cloud which might not really be a fresh copy. Are there other things I can try? or just wait for the next round of updates?

Geoff Mather

• Hey @GeoffMather

Let's get you over to email support were we can look at diagnostic reports from the device and see if we can get you in a better place. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your device:

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press command and comma. The 1Password settings (preferences) will open.
    3. Tap Advanced.
    4. Click Send Diagnostics.
    5. Click Reveal to locate the report in your downloads folder.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: GeoffMather
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/692127/#Comment_692127

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• GeoffMather
    GeoffMather
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for you help. I have followed these instructions and the support ID is
    [#LEN-41163-177]

Geoff

• Thanks Geoff.

ref: LEN-41163-177

• AndyQ
    AndyQ
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue but on Sonoma (beta 4) and nightly - looks like the browser extension just won't communicate with the app at all. Touch ID not working in browser, and if I unlock app, browser remains locked, and vice versa.

(support request filed but as yet no support ID number received)

• Hey @AndyQ

It's here. Someone will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: QUZ-26569-169

This discussion has been closed.