mrc converter suite release version zip - hashes don't match [download error]

Options
saguaro
saguaro
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Lounge

I was about to try the MRC converter suite to help import from Bitwarden, but neither the SHA512 nor MD5 hashes match for the file "mrc-converter-suite - released version.zip" Since the very purpose hashes is to verify file integrity, I'm wondering what's up?

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6.3
Browser:_ Firefox 109.0.1
Referrer: forum-search:MRC converter hashes don't match release version

Comments

• Pinging @MrC

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@saguaro / @ag_tommy

The checksums look correct to me:

I'm using md5sum and shasum.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2023
    Options

@saguaro / @ag_tommy

I see what is happening. Dropbox keeps changing their interface. When you are not logged in to Dropbox, the interface is rudimentary, and perhaps trying to be helpful.

When you try to download the linked file using the browser by right-clicking and saving the link, you get the dropbox HTML page as a zip archive. That's why your checksum is different.

And when you click on the Download button, the Safari browser is automatically expanding the zip archive, leaving you with the contents. So there's no way to get just the zip.

When I'm logged into Dropbox, the interface has the ability to select the zip file, or selectively download the zip file.

I'm getting fed-up with Dropbox, and started evaluating other means to distribute the archives. I'll look into this more this weekend.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@saguaro

Here's a direct link to the released version, with the download flag set to 1. Don't use Safari, as it auto-expands the download.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3bagb52fcdtex6/mrc-converter-suite-2022-10-12-0941.zip?dl=1

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@saguaro

I just learned something.

You can use Safari, but to get the zip archive, go to Safari's Settings > General and disable Open "safe" files after downloading. Then you'll get the zip archive, and it won't be auto-expanded.

• saguaro
    saguaro
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC Oh, yeah, I always uncheck that in Safari's settings. Of course you have to remember to do it on each Mac...

I'm actually on firefox. When I clicked download, I got a file named "mrc-converter-suite - released version.zip" which doesn't hash to correct value. When i used your link above, I got "mrc-converter-suite-2022-10-12-0941.zip" as shown on the db web page. They both seem to contain identical files (at least same size and mod dates), but the archives are not the same size.

Thanks for the link and fast reply! Hashes all good! Dropbox weirdness!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@saguaro

The issue is Dropbox. There are actually two possible zips you can download:

• If you are on the page that displays the link to the zip, and click Download, you get a zip containing the release zip.
    • If you click on the release zip link shown on the page, Dropbox takes you into the contents. And if you then click the Download button, you get the release zip, and the hashes will match.

I hate this behavior; its a confusing mess.

Let me know how your conversion works, or if you have any other issues. Sorry for the troubles.

• saguaro
    saguaro
    Community Member
    Options

Will do!

• saguaro
    saguaro
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC Just wanted to let you know that the import went fine. (The only oddity is that some entries imported from LP months ago have different password strengths than the ones I just imported from Bitwarden via script)
    Thanks for all the help.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@saguaro

Thanks for the update, I really appreciate that.

I think Password Strength accuracy requires that 1Password generates the password. Otherwise, its just a heuristically determined value, so I can't account for the various levels it provides. It seems sometimes almost nonsensical. Once you change passwords using it's generator, the strength will be more "accurate".

Hope you are enjoying 1Password!
    MrC

• Ben
    Options

I think Password Strength accuracy requires that 1Password generates the password. Otherwise, its just a heuristically determined value, so I can't account for the various levels it provides. It seems sometimes almost nonsensical. Once you change passwords using it's generator, the strength will be more "accurate".

💯

If the password is generated by 1Password then we can calculate the amount of randomness that went into it based on the recipe. Without that, the strength value is just a best guess. This does mean that if you:

• copy a password that you generated for one record and paste it onto another record
    • modify the generated password in any way
    • type the generated password, instead of saving it from the generator

1Password will not be able to accurately calculate the strength.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.