1Password 6.8.9 is read-only

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: The future of local/standalone vaults.

Comments

• r5z8e2l3
    r5z8e2l3
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased a standalone license in 2014, and have been mostly happy with the 1Password product. I've never been someone who likes the subscription model - it's just a way for Corporations to keep milking money from their customers. Over the years, I've updated 1Password on my mac to now using version 6.8.9 (NO, I'm not 'upgrading' to 7/8/etc.).

For the past couple of days, when I unlock my vault (NO, I don't and NEVER will use the cloud versions), on my own mac computer, an annoying message showed up at the top that it was in "read-only" mode and that I had to "buy" a "paid" version.

Let me be very clear, I ALREADY PAID FOR THIS.

For the past couple of days, I have been unable to use the software to make edits to my vault, SOFTWARE THAT I ALREADY PAID FOR.

Just recently (within the last couple of hours or so), I am now able to edit my vault, which is completely bizarre to me.

Has some hot patch been pushed out to me (and others)?

Why did this happen?

If this is not the correct forum discussion, please direct me to the correct one.

Thx

• Hello @r5z8e2l3! 👋

I'm sorry that you're not able to edit items using 1Password 6 for Mac. 1Password 6 received its last update in 2018 and is no longer supported. That being said, please send an email to support+forum@1Password.com and our support team will try to help as far as possible. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

• r5z8e2l3
    r5z8e2l3
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P,
    I am now able to edit. As I stated, it lasted for about 2 days (I'm not sure the exact duration but it was approximately 2 days). During that period of time, the following message showed up (see attached screenshot) that stated "Read-only mode. Click here to buy."

Yes I'm aware that version is not the current version.

The issue is that I still own that piece of software that I paid for and I should never have been shown that message and I should never been disallowed from editing my own local vault(s). What you folks did during that 48 hour period or so is hold my database hostage, not unlike a ransomware scam. You folks did not allow me to use the software that I paid for.

I can edit now, but the question is: why did you folks do that at all during that 48 hour period? Was that a fluke or was it on purpose to force customers to 'upgrade' to your cloud-based software, which, for reasons I already stated, I'm not going to purchase.

It's entirely troubling to me for several reasons. I am now looking into alternative software products (other than from AgileBits), as I certainly won't be your hostage ever again - not now, not ever.

Regards.

• @r5z8e2l3

1Password 6 hasn't been updated for almost five years and we haven't pushed any changes that would affect how 1Password 6 works on your Mac. The last update was released on May 18th, 2018. I'm happy to hear that the app is working again for you.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.