Guest Invitations

dragerz
dragerz
Community Member

Hi,
Needing some guidance on how it works sending a guest invite to another current 1Password user not in a member of my family acct?

I want to share a vault with my father who maintains his own separate family membership. I sent a guest invite and the email says to 'join' as if it will create a brand-new acct when he already has an existing acct. I hoped it would recognize his user out there already with an existing acct and simply give him guest access to this shared vault not create a new user like that (I didn't go through process of creating the acct).

Confusing and I'm very technical. What am I missing?

thx for the time,
Douglas

1Password Version: 8.9.14
Extension Version: 2.6.0
OS Version: Win 11
Browser:_ Brave
Referrer: forum-search:Guest Invitations

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @dragerz !

I think this should help:
    Share with guests in 1Password Families

There are a lot of other helpful topics in the knowledge base. Just search for a keyword. πŸ˜‰

• dragerz
    dragerz
    Community Member

thanks, yes, I have read that article and IIRC followed what looked to be a self-explanatory process.

The confusing thing I mentioned above is the email received by the guest. He already has an existing acct and going to that link does not make it sound as if he's just getting access to my shared vault within my family acct, but rather has him creating a brand new 1P acct from scratch which I'm afraid to have him do so to mess up his existing one. I'd understand if he's simply entering in his master password and then I confirm him on my side.

• @dragerz

They would be creating a new login, essentially a new account specific to your invite. It can use the same password and email for ease of use but would have a different Security Key. They would have two accounts at that point their own account and the one you invited them to.

• dragerz
    dragerz
    Community Member

Ah, ok. I do get now there needs to be that separate security key and all. Thx for the explanation. I just was scared it would screw with their primary vault's identity. I'll have him carry on with it.

• No worries @dragerz We've all been there and had those same questions before. Welcome to the club. 😁 We're happy to have you with us and we'll do our best to help answer any questions you have.

• dragerz
    dragerz
    Community Member

So appreciate!

• @dragerz

On behalf of Tommy, you're very welcome. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• hotoutside
    hotoutside
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

I've sent an invite to the user, but when they log in they are on a trial membership, and there are no Family vaults. So confusing.

How do you figure out which account/email is which if multiple accounts can be owned by the same username/email?

This discussion has been closed.