How do you show the number of items in a vault / category?

Options
codeknight
codeknight
Community Member

In 1Password 7 , there was an option to show the number of items in a vault / category, in the sidebar. I've looked through all the preference panes and can't see anything. Is this another existing feature that got scrapped in the "upgrade" to 1P8?

1Password Version: 8.9.15
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.6.3
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

It would be even easier to see counts if 1PW8 would follow the widely accepted pattern of showing the count next to the item it relates to instead of inventing a new way no one is able to find.
    Just bring back the item counts 1PW7 had and add an show/hide in the view menu.

• Hello @codeknight! 👋

You can find the number of items by opening the sort menu:

You can also find the number of items by scrolling to the bottom of a list. I hope that helps. 🙂

-Dave

• codeknight
    codeknight
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that Dave. So the option to have them in the sidebar is gone now?

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

@codeknight Unfortunately this feature was removed in 1P8 and there is presently no way to show item counts in the sidebar so they are visible at a glance. We have the workaround that Dave showed above but for whatever reason the company hasn't seen fit to restore the feature as it was or provide an option to display item counts in the sidebar for those who prefer it that way.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

1PW8 nightly had standard item counts in the sidebar for one or two days. A couple of days later AgileBits "presented" their approach of item counts. Either scroll to the bottom of a list with thousands of elements or use the sort button. Both solutions are well hidden as various requests from users seeking help here in the forum show.
    I really don't understand why Agilebits refuses to use a well known UI pattern. If clutter is problem, this can easily avoided by adding a show/hide option.

• @codeknight

Item counts are not displayed in 1Password 8's sidebar. Can you tell me why having them in the sidebar would be more useful for you? While I can't promise anything, I can pass along your use case to the product team which will help them develop and plan future updates to 1Password. 🙂

@OAW and @viswiz

Thank you for the feedback.

-Dave

ref: PB-30997851
    ref: PB-30997863

• AshZM
    AshZM
    Community Member
    Options

Having the number in the sidebar would be very helpful! When updating from the stand-alone 1Password, My iPhone and Mac had a different number of items. Online had 491 items, Dropbox had 1790, Personal had 1781, etc. Since there is NO way to delete duplicates (which is horrible) or easily find the most recently updated between the vaults, it would be helpful to see how many items are in each vault. Once the Personal vault has everything, I'll delete the others. I guess this is what happens when you start with Version 1 of 1Password!

• @AshZM

Wow, I'm always honoured to meet someone who started using 1Password at Version 1. Thank you for sticking with us for so long. 😊

When updating from the stand-alone 1Password, My iPhone and Mac had a different number of items. Online had 491 items, Dropbox had 1790, Personal had 1781, etc.

You shouldn't have different numbers of items on different devices when using a 1Password account. However, things get a little more complicated when an older standalone vault is still in the mix. I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our dedicated migration team can help you get everything moved over to your account without running into duplicates.

That being said, I've passed on your request for an item count in the sidebar to our product team. For now you can find the item count by clicking on a vault in the sidebar and then clicking on the Sort button which looks like this:

-Dave

ref: PB-32567466

• aceebee
    aceebee
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

TOTALLY AGREE the number counts need to be visible in the left hand side as is standard and always used to be. I don't get why you guys screw things up for standard users. I stopped using it for years because you overcomplexified it. now it seems like that being user unfriendly interface is back again so am I going to have to abandon 1P all over again? this is just basic user interface stuff.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@aceebee

Thank you for the feedback. While I can't promise anything, I've let our Product team know that you'd like to see item counts in the sidebar.

For now, you can find item counts in two places:

1. By clicking on the sort button at the top of an item list.
    2. By scrolling to the bottom of an item list.

-Dave

ref: PB-34147005

• amertner
    amertner
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to weigh in on this as well: Please bring this feature back. Being able to see how many items are in each vault, at a glance, without having to click on each individually, is a key feature. I have two accounts with 30 or so vaults, so it's very tedious the way it works in 1P8.

• @amertner

Thank you for the feedback. Can you tell me more about how you use the item count? Why do you need to see the item count of all of your vaults frequently and quickly?

Understanding your need for the feature will help the Product team prioritize accordingly. 🙂

-Dave

• amertner
    amertner
    Community Member
    Options

Dave - I use the overview of items in vaults to manage the vaults. Observations like these:

• Is there one that is barely used and I should delete?
    • Why are there so many in the Marketing vault; should that perhaps be split?
    • It looks like Technical grew a lot, and Purchasing shrank. Did someone accidentally move a bunch of items?

I don't think this is something I do "often", but being able to see at a glance if something is amiss or needs looking into would be useful.

If it's a problem is that it costs performance to maintain all the time, I'd be ok to have to press a button to calculate/display it.

• @amertner

Thank you for those details, they help our product team prioritize the various feature requests that are open and consider the best solution for the needs that you've voiced.

I've added your comments to our internal tracker for the feature request. 🙂

-Dave

ref: 34811356

This discussion has been closed.