File Attachments: Retain Original Meta Data (E.g. The Date/Time When A Phone Was Taken)?

Options
nimvio
nimvio
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Mac

I wonder if there's a way to preserve the meta data, like the date/time a photo was originally created, when downloading a file attached to an item, whether that's via the desktop or mobile apps, or when downloading via the browser when viewing a shared item online. It doesn't work that way as of this writing.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: macOS 13.2
Browser:_ Safari; Chrome

Comments

• Hi @nimvio,

Thanks for surfacing this! I just tested locally and saw the same result, downloading an attachment replaced it's creation and modification date with the current one. I'm happy to pass this on to our Product team. 🙂

If you're open to sharing, I'd be curious to hear more about your use cases for this. It always helps to add context and examples for feature requests, but I've recorded your insight all the same! Let me know if you have any questions.

ref: PB-31088991

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

@andrew.l_1P , thanks for the reply. I suppose it’s not a super big deal, but my use case near the time of posting was to check if the date for an image of a health document would stick, even after re-downloading. I could also see a use case for personal pictures, such as pictures of a family member, files, and other important attachments where having a date gives it context.

P.S. As I’m typing this, I realize (as I have before) that one “fix” for this is to put the date in the file name itself, but there’s also location data, and other meta data.

Thanks!

• Thanks for these details, @nimvio, I agree that most things metadata-related are probably edge cases but I suspect there are many of them! I'll add these notes to our request. 🙂

In the meantime, we can explore some workarounds like the one you mentioned. The first that comes to my mind is adding a custom text field to the item or using the default "note" section of an item. If you're adding attachments as their own items and linking them to others instead of uploading them as part of an existing item, you won't have to worry about taking up screen real estate for other data. Similarly, if you're in the habit of adding documents to 1Password as soon as they're created, you could refer to the "created" or "modified" dates in an item to give you more details.

All said though, I can still see the value in retaining the original metadata, so thanks for sharing the idea. Let me know if you have any questions!

This discussion has been closed.