How do I change the inactivity lock time on the Macintosh version of 1Password?

Options
ErnieS
ErnieS
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Mac

When I go to the Web version of 1Password to change the inactivity setting, it tells me to change the setting on the app. I do not see a link anywhere on the app to change this setting. How do I change it (I am on a Mac)? Running latest version of 1Passwore updated 2 days ago ver 8.1.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 13.1
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:How do I change the inactivity lock time on the Macintosh version?

Comments

• Hello @ErnieS! 👋

By "inactivity" do you mean that you'd like to set how quickly 1Password locks after the Mac is idle? If the answer is yes then follow these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Settings.
    4. Click on Security.
    5. Change the "Lock after the computer is idle for" setting as desired.

You can read more about auto-lock here: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

-Dave

• ErnieS
    ErnieS
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Dave -
    Several questions. I set the lockout time to "never" on 1Password for the Mac, the incarnation on the Applications desktop. The Firefox app still seems to time out frequently.

• So, does this setting apply to ALL of my devices where 1Password is installed or is there a way to set the timeout for each device? I see no way to set this in the app on each device.
    • If set to "never", does it timeout when the Mac is put into sleep mode? I also assume one has to log into 1Password anytime the system is rebooted, right?
  • @ErnieS

Thank you for the reply. I'll respond below:

The Firefox app still seems to time out frequently.

Please try the following steps to see if they improve the situation:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon at the top of your Mac's screen and then click Quit. Wait until the icon disappears.
    3. Double-click on 1Password from your Mac's Application folder.
    4. Open your web browser.

So, does this setting apply to ALL of my devices where 1Password is installed or is there a way to set the timeout for each device? I see no way to set this in the app on each device.

No, you'll have to change the auto-lock setting on each device separately. You can find steps for each of our apps in the article that I linked above, click on the tab to see instructions for the appropriate device: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

If set to "never", does it timeout when the Mac is put into sleep mode? I also assume one has to log into 1Password anytime the system is rebooted, right?

There's a separate option to have 1Password lock when the Mac sleeps:

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• ErnieS
    ErnieS
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect. Thanks, Dave!

• I'm happy to help! 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.