Strategies for clean ups

Options
AUSFestivus
AUSFestivus
Community Member

Ive been a long term 1password user and customer. Over the years ive accumulated a lot of records.

Over the past few years, in a role as an Infrastructure as Code developer, I have seen the number of logins and identities I need to manage explode. As a result, my Vaults, spread across three 1password accounts, have just become a total dogs breakfast. This bothers me and I want to fix it.

Im interested in hearing how other 1password users have approached this problem.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• andrew.l_1P
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi @AUSFestivus,

Great question! I can certainly think of a couple features in 1Password 8 that you might find helpful. Working top down, you can use collections to sort your vaults themselves: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults. I personally find these especially handy when using multiple 1Password accounts simultaneously, as you can group vaults from different accounts together. There's also a toggle to include newly created vaults in a given collection.

For your items themselves, tags are one option to help organize: Organize with favorites and tags. Even if you're only using them temporarily. For example, I might have a "Not Yet Sorted" tag to keep track of which items I'd still like to review. Creating additional vaults might serve a similar purpose. In both cases, you can drag items to the left side of the 1Password 8 app to move it into a given vault or assign a tag.

When viewing your items, I recommend trying different sorting methods:

For example, sorting by title might help you identify duplicate items, while sorting by date created or modified might help surface items that can be deleted/archived or need updating.

Lastly, I recommend keeping an eye on your Watchtower alerts. Among other things, Watchtower will flag any reused passwords. These can be a good indicator of duplicate items.

Let me know if you give any of this a try or have any questions! 🙂

• AUSFestivus
    AUSFestivus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @andrew.l_1P.

Im in a situation where I am signing in to multiple Azure AD tenants. I will usually have multiple accounts PER tenant as well.
    Ideally, I would like to come up with a way I can have 1password prompt with a list of credentials that are only applicable to the tenant I am currently trying to sign in to.

Right now, when I hit the AAD sign in page, 1password is prompting me with a long list of possible credentials to use. I would like some way to reduce the displayed list that is presented via the browser extension.

• Hi @AUSFestivus,

Thanks for sharing more details about your use case. In your browser, you can right-click the 1Password icon to access the settings for the browser extension. In the "Accounts & Vaults* section you can uncheck vaults from which you do not want suggestions. This might not be sustainable if you need to change these often, but one workaround is that these are saved per browser profile:

Give that a try and let me know if you see an improvement. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.