Issue: Upgrading 7 > 8 with existing library data from a previous 8 install

Options
andrurdna
andrurdna
Community Member

This is a report of an issue I've resolved by following the uninstall instructions[1], but which I think - although an edge case - represents an unnecessary restriction.

TLDR: The "Sign into Another Account" option is disabled when installing 1Password 8 on a machine with an existing, locked account.

I recently upgraded from 1Password 6 with iCloud sync, to 1Password 7. Since there were some problems during the automatic migration of my account data, I've been holding off upgrading to 8 until I was sure all my data made it across ok.

Today I decided to upgrade to 1Password 8.

Crucially, my partner had previously installed and used 1Password 8 on a previous machine to log into a company account to which he no longer has access, and this data was copied over to my new machine by the MacOS Migration Assistant.

When I installed 1Password 8 today, it was already set up with my partner's old account data, and was locked to the password screen, with no obvious way to sign into another account.

I followed the uninstall instructions[1] which has resolved my issue - and fortunately I'm literate enough to not be frightened of going into ~/Library and deleting things, but it would have been a much better experience to just be able to sign into my account.

1: https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.2
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @andrurdna,

Thanks for surfacing this and including all the context, I can reproduce the same behaviour locally and will share this with the rest of the team. Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again!

ref: PB-31089157

This discussion has been closed.