Password Options

Options
ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

On my iPhone, when I go to Settings -> Passwords -> Password Options, there are 2 sections: ALLOW FILLING FROM and SETUP VERIFICATION CODES USING. I have "1Pasword" checked for in the first section, and iCloud Passwords and Keychain checked in the second section. Should I have "1Password" checked in the second section too? What will happen if I change that?

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 16.3.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @ajahn

If you choose 1Password in the "Set up verification codes" section, you'll see an "Open in 1Password" option appear in yellow when your iPhone's Camera app detects a QR code for two-factor authentication. It'll look a bit like this:

Tapping that button will then open and unlock 1Password and ask you to choose an item:

Choose an item, and 1Password will set up one-time passwords for that item using the QR code detected in the Camera app.

I hope that answers your question fully, but please do let me know if I can be of any further help. :)

— Grey

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @GreyM1P. Thanks for replying. I'm not exactly sure I understand. I know I want to use 1Password for all my app and website passwords, but do I actually NEED to use it for verification codes? If I keep the keychain option checked will it accomplish what I normally use? Are there any articles that really explain this? Thanks again.

Alfredo

• @ajahn

do I actually NEED to use it for verification codes?

This is another method for setting up two-factor authentication, as opposed to going into 1Password first, then finding the item, and tapping the scanning button next to the one-time password field.

If you had the QR code on screen and you opened your Camera app instinctively to scan it, having this setting turned on would correctly pass that information over to 1Password, so essentially just the opposite way around. 🙃

You might find it useful, but it's by no means required. You can keep setting up two-factor authentication on your 1Password items the same way you always have if you like.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. Thanks for the info. I think I'll switch to use 1Password for this as well.

• @ajahn

You're welcome! It essentially just means that if you approach the problem "from the other end", where you scan the code first, you can decide where to put it.

It's a bit like how you can:

• open a word processor and choose File > Open to find the document, or
    • find the document and double-click it to open the word processor

Some people will only ever use one, some people use both, some will use a mixture. This just covers both scenarios. :)

This discussion has been closed.