1Password for Mac 8.10.1 (81001019) Touch ID Enabled, App Never Offers- Requires Password Everytime

Options
FiberNut
FiberNut
Community Member

For weeks now, the app requires I enter my Master Password during each and every use of 1Password, it used to use Touch ID. Setting for Touch ID enabled, as it has been. Ask for Master PW is set to once every 30 days. Have toggled off both settings, restarted, no change. Set them back to before, no change. Do I do a clean uninstall and reinstall?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:asks for master password every time

Comments

• Hi there @FiberNut

Is macOS due for an update, by any chance? We've heard of situations where if macOS has downloaded an update, but the update hasn't been applied, then Touch ID might not work as expected, almost because it "knows" it's out of date.

The latest version of macOS is 13.2.1, so click the Apple menu, then About This Mac to see what's currently installed. Let me know what you find, or if updating macOS hasn't helped. :)

— Grey

• FiberNut
    FiberNut
    Community Member
    Options

Wish it was that. No update in queue. Its not Touch ID that isn't working either-- that continues to function normal as usual, throughout the OS and browser, etc, during any Password/normal authentication triggers. It's just that 1PW suddenly asks for the Master PW each time one wants to fill a credential on a website that is stored in 1PW (even tho 1PW is already in Unlocked state). Started about 2 mos ago.

• FiberNut
    FiberNut
    Community Member
    Options

Mac is a 2016 15inch at latest Monterey version 12.6.3 (this Mac doesn't support Ventura)

• @FiberNut

Thanks for checking that – you'd be surprised how often that's the cause. It sounds like it'll be better if we can see what's going on with 1Password behind the scenes, so I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/138330/1password-for-mac-8-10-1-81001019-touch-id-enabled-app-never-offers-requires-password-everytime
    • Your forum username: FiberNut

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks very much!

• FiberNut
    FiberNut
    Community Member
    Options

I just discovered that its not the 1Password application itself-- its only the Safari browser extension that is making me enter the Master Password whenever the extension is used. I am going to remove it, restart, then re-add it, before moving to the Diagnostics part.

• @FibertNut

Sounds good. You can also try the following before sending in that report.

1Password 8 app:
    1. Turn off - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser

1Password for Safari or other browser:
    2. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then disable Integrate with 1Password app.
    2 a. Sign out of any accounts you are signed into in the Safari browser. It will be at the bottom of the settings page mentioned in step 2.
    3. Quit the browser completely! A full quit, not a close or minimize to the dock.

1Password 8 app:
    4. Quit 1Password. While looking at the main window (locked or unlocked)
    - Press Command and Q 1Password should lock and close.
    5. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock.
    6. Turn On - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser
    7. Open your browser.

1Password for Safari or other browser:
    8. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then enable Integrate with 1Password app.
    9 . There should be no need to sign into any accounts within the browser. The interconnection between 1Password and 1Password in the browser should be all that is needed.

• FiberNut
    FiberNut
    Community Member
    Options

FIXED
    The 1Password Extension for Safari was sitting in the App Store in queue for an update installation-- that seems to have been the culprit. (I thought it would have only been MacOS itself with an update pending-- but it was the actual Extension).
    I get notified via the Red circle badge whenever an App from App Store has an update- but usually don't rush to install them ---as they are usually not an "emergency" and are benign like a printer update or an update for a seldom used App-- and I assumed since I am Beta person it would update automatically- but that's apparently only the 1PW app itself. + I think updates to the actual Extension are not common.
    Anyway-- that was the fix. Sorry for the false alarm

• Thanks @FiberNut

I'm glad you got it resolved. No worries at all. We're always happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.