Watchtower default warning periods.

Options
Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member

I am using watchtower more and more and have searched for the following information:
1. Does watch tower have default notice periods per type of record: Passport, Driving Licence. Credit card etc.
2. Is the notice period customisable? Currently UK passports are taking a month of Sundays to be delivered.
3. Where can I find a list of the default notice periods?
3. Some countries have ID cards. Does such a category exist. If not, can I create one?
4. Do I have to define the category in the Text field for watch tower to work or does it react to the basic category chosen? See question 3 above.

Thank you for your help.

1Password Version: Beta channel
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10 Pro
Browser:_ Edge

Comments

• Hello @Andrew42,

Thanks for the questions regarding Watchtower.

Watchtower detects and provides a notification banner based on the expiration date in categories that contain this field by default, such as Passport, Drivers License, and Credit Card. These default notice periods are described here in the support guide, Watchtower - Check for expiring items, but are not adjustable.

Some countries have ID cards. Does such a category exist. If not, can I create one?

Such a category does not exist, but would suggest using an existing, similar category like Passport or Drivers License and Customize those 1Password items to your liking.

A complete list of available categories is available here: 1Password item categories

If you need further assistance, we'll be here to help!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @ag_mike_d. It would be nice, but not essential, to be able to vary the notice period for expiry dates. I have two passports and the renewal time for then is entirely different. One requires at least three months to be certain and one requires one month. Most countries require a passport to have at least five months lifetime left before issuing a visa so the 1P default of 9 months is a little excessive

Regarding ID cards, I intend to lump them with passports.

Am I right in thinking that the expiry date for a given item cannot be changed directly from Watchtower. I wanted to update the expiry date of some credit cards and could not find a way to do that within Watchtower, I had to go to the credit card category and edit the date there.

• Hello again @Andrew42,

We appreciate the additional feedback about a setting to vary the notice period for expiring items. I've included your thoughts for the Product team in a feature request.

ref: 31351301

Watchtower is in place to help notify you of different aspects about items, as noted in that guide. I've also recently had to update the expiration date on Credit Card I have saved in 1Password. As mentioned, you'll need to open and edit each of those items on an individual basis to make the required modifications. While in Watchtower, when selecting Show Items in section that needs attention, this will link you directly to that list of items, without the need to switch to a different category.

I hope this information helps, but if you need further assistance, just let us know!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d. Thank you.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

"While in Watchtower, when selecting Show Items in section that needs attention, this will link you directly to that list of items, without the need to switch to a different category."

@ag_mike_d . That is exactly what I am not able to do. For example when I select the Show Items for Expiring/ed items, I get a list of all records that have either expired or are within Watchtower's default notice period. Then I click on and open a specific record and I am shown all the various details: none of which can be edited. To edit the record I have to locate it within its relevant category, open it and edit it there. Specifically there is no Edit button showing on the screen that Watchtower develops.

If you would like me to create a series of screen shots to demonstrate what I am seeing, let me know

• Good morning @Andrew42,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Specifically there is no Edit button showing on the screen that Watchtower develops.

The behaviour you are describing doesn't sound right. I've done some testing with the Production version of 1Password 8 and provided a quick demonstration from my test account of what I am seeing through this workflow. In this case, the Edit button should appear in the upper right corner of the item, above the banner as it would when selecting an item from a category;

If you are not seeing this, could let us know which version of 1Password you are using and provide a example screenshot of one of the items in question? When sending a screenshot, please be sure to redact any personal or private information. We'd like to investigate further. Thanks!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d. Don't worry about it. It has now started working properly on my system. On the occasional time when it reverts to what I mentioned I simply close out 1P, come back in again and it works as it should. Thanks. I'll get back to you if I run into the issue again and I'll make sure I send you a screen shot.

• We appreciate the update here, @Andrew42!

I'm happy to hear it's working as expected now, though I'm concerned that it is not always working as intended. The next time this happens, a screenshot, with redacted any personal information, showing the missing Edit button would be great. Also, if you can think of anything or discover steps that you can use reproduce this behaviour, it would be most helpful to the team and I'd be happy to pass those details along. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.