How does Google Authenticator differ from 1P7 2FA?

Options
crablice
crablice
Community Member
edited February 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

It looks like the 1P7 2FA is basically an integration of authenticator technology in to 1P7. Is this true? Is there an advantage to using the 1P7 2FA? If the site doesn't offer authenticator protocol can 1P7 be made to work?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @crablice

1Password can generate one-time passwords just like Google Authenticator can. They both use the same industry standard to produce those one-time passwords. Most websites that offer two-factor authentication will do so using one-time passwords, and you can use 1Password to generate those using the instructions found here:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

Hope that helps! If you have any questions, or need any other help, I'll be here. :)

☞ I noticed you said "1P7" in your post. 1Password 7 is discontinued, and you should use 1Password 8 to stay current. You should Upgrade to 1Password 8 for Mac if you haven't already.

— Grey

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I know I'm not current. I didn't go to 1p8 because there seemed to be a lot if problems when it was released.

• @crablice

Upgrading to 1Password 8 isn't a one-way road, you can give the latest version a try and still go back to 1Password 7 if you wish. When you do give 1Password 8 a try let us know what you think. 🙂

-Dave

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded to 1Password 8. It works fine. So I am now current. Thanks for your help.

• Grey and I are both happy to help. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.