Clearing the system keyboard when closing the app

Options
debug45
debug45
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Mac

I often open 1Password to copy something and use it in my work. When I’ve copied this information, I usually do not need 1Password anymore and immediately quit it. But 1Password always cleans the system clipboard on quit, and it is impossible to switch this feature off. It is really annoying. Could you make this feature optional please? Thank you.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: 13.2.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hey there @debug45

You can turn off clipboard clearing in 1Password's Settings on the Security tab:

If that feature is turned on, 1Password will clear the clipboard on quit, even if it hasn't been 90 seconds yet.

— Grey

• debug45
    debug45
    Community Member
    Options

I've checked but it doesn’t help. Moreover, I would like to leave the 90 seconds feature enabled. It is strange to combine them in this way.

• @debug45

At the moment, 1Password clearing the clipboard when the app is closed is by design. This is done so that secrets copied to the clipboard don't linger there indefinitely. The clipboard can be accessed by other apps on your device and, depending on your threat model, it's best to limit what is stored there.

That being said, I can certainly pass your feedback along to the team. Can you tell me a little more about why you quit 1Password so often? Rather than quitting 1Password and keeping a secret in the clipboard, have you considered keeping 1Password running in the background so that you can pull up the secret whenever you need it using Quick Access? You can read more about Quick Access here: Get to know Quick Access

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#3761

• furf
    furf
    Community Member
    Options

+1 i do exactly the same thing as @debug45. i open 1P to copy a password and then quit (intuitively) only to have 1P clear the clipboard. i prefer not to leave 1P running just so i can c&p my password.

is the concern that you need the application running to clear the clipboard? if so, could you run a daemon instead that cleans up the clipboard 90 seconds after quitting?

would love to see something implemented as i feel that quitting 1P when i'm done with it is actually the safer move.

• @furf

Thank you for the feedback. Can you clarify why you close 1Password when you're not using it? When you lock 1Password your data is encrypted and can only be viewed after you unlock 1Password again, the same as if you had closed the app. You can lock 1Password in a few different ways:

1. Right-click on the menu bar icon and click Lock.
    2. Press Shift-Command-L on your keyboard to immediately lock 1Password.

You can also set 1Password to auto-lock more often: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

I'm not sure that I'm understanding how exactly closing the 1Password app between uses is a "safer move" and I would love to learn more so that I can pass along your use case to our product team. 🙂

-Dave

• furf
    furf
    Community Member
    Options

i close it because it's a huge window that clutters my screen. when i'm done using it, i want it closed. however, closing the window will quit the application if its the only window open.

as to how i use 1P most frequently, i'm a keystroke kid, and it's a force of habit:

1. cmd-space opens Alfred
    2. "1" launches 1Password
    3. two-clicks to copy a password from one of my faves (most frequent use case)
    4. cmd-w to close the window

as i mentioned, step 4 will quit the app if it's the only window open—which it usually is, based on above.

🤔 i suppose an alternative solution would be to add a preference to leave the application running when closing the 1Password window. that would allow me to dismiss the window without clearing the password.

now… why don't i just use the chrome extension? because i very, very frequently need the password to authenticate MetaMask which is a chrome extension. 1Password cannot access the contents of its dialogs.

for now, some potential workarounds for me:

• use System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard shortcuts to modify the cmd-w keystroke in 1Password that it minimizes the window instead of closing it
    • re-habituate myself to using Quick Access
    • both!

(the former actually works pretty nicely.)

PS—something strange… this locking behavior is not enabled on my personal laptop. they are both on the same version: 81020036 PRODUCTION. is there a way to export all of my preferences so i can easily diff them?

• furf
    furf
    Community Member
    Options

ugh. i just left a huge comment. it posted, but after trying to edit, it was gone.

tl;dr i like to close the window after grabbing a password. it's huge and clutters my screen. unfortunately, the app quits when closing the last window, which is the case when accessing quickly. an alt solution might be to add a pref to keep the app running without a window open. (is that a security concern?)

for most web sites, i can auth in using the convenient dropdowns. unfortunately, the 1P chrome extension cannot access the contents of other chrome extensions and one of my frequent use cases is authenticating in the MetaMask dialog.

for now, i'm going to workaround by using System Settings > Keyboard Shortcuts to reassign CMD-W to "Minimize" instead of "Close." that will keep the app running in the background AND out of the way.

• furf
    furf
    Community Member
    Options

PS—this bug/feature only affects my work laptop, not my personal laptop.

both are running 1Password for Mac 8.10.20 (81020036).

is there a way to export my preferences as text so that i can diff the files?

• furf
    furf
    Community Member
    Options

lol, now my OG post is back. 💩

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@furf

I'm sorry for the confusion. Your initial post was caught in our spam filter by mistake until one of our moderators released it.

i close it because it's a huge window that clutters my screen. when i'm done using it, i want it closed. however, closing the window will quit the application if its the only window open.

Be default, 1Password will stay running in the background even if you close the main window. Can you check the following setting:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click General.
    5. Make sure that "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" is turned on.

Then, copy something from 1Password and close 1Password's main window again. Are you still able to paste what you've copied?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave