Biometric Login not working

krischik
krischik
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Android

I have biometric login set up on my Android device and password needed set to two weeks. Yet I'm asked to retype my password every time I open the app. That's kind of annoying as I have a fairly long password I often have to retype multiple times because of typos.

This is one of the cases over overdoing security might lead to reduced security because if this persists I have to consider a shorter and easier to type password.

Please ensure biometric login any I'm not constantly forced to type my password.

PS: Of course this makes me wonder: How important is a long and complex password for 1Password? With Lastpass the master password was all important while 1Password uses an additional secret key for protection.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Android 13
Browser:_ N/A

Comments

• ag_timothy
    edited March 2023

Hi @krischik, thanks for writing in. While there are a few situations where your account password would be required outside of the "Require password" interval when biometrics are in use, this doesn't sound like expected behavior.

I'd like to ask you to reset Biometric unlock then check if the issue persists:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password for Android.
    2. Tap the account or collection icon.
    3. Tap Settings > Security.
    4. If on, tap Biometric unlock off.
    5. Tap Biometric unlock on.
    6. Tap back and close the Settings menu.
    7. Tap the account or collection icon > Lock.
    9. Enter your account password and unlock 1Password.
    10. Tap the account or collection icon > Lock.

Are you now prompted to scan your fingerprint?

Of course this makes me wonder: How important is a long and complex password for 1Password?

While we certainly recommend using an unique, random and memorable password the Secret Key does the heavy lifting. With a unique and random password, using something that’s easy to practice regularly is perfectly fine.

• krischik
    krischik
    Community Member

Thanks for the hint. Re-adding biometic data seem to have worked but I'll wait a few days for the final verdict. Note that I also re-added my fingerprints as Samsung doesn't always get it right first time.

• I'm glad to hear that worked @krischik! Let us know if the issue pops up again and we'll be here to help.

• francispoulin
    francispoulin
    Community Member

I am having a maybe related problem.

I tried this and it worked when I tried openning it the second time around. However, when I try using other apps, and I click on autofill with 1password, it always asks me for my master password. How can I avoid this?

• ag_audrey
    edited March 2023

Hey @francispoulin, thanks for reaching out! Can you try changing your auto-lock settings:
    2. Tap the top right profile icon.
    3. Tap Settings > Security.
    4. Tap "Auto-Lock on Exit", and extend it to a longer time.

Does adjusting that setting allow you to use your fingerprint for a longer period of time?

• francispoulin
    francispoulin
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried this and made it the longest possible time of 8 hours but I'm not sure it's going to help. So far it hasn't.

The problem is that whenver I try and autofill information from 1Password, my phone (android) always asks for my master password instead of my fingerprint.

• Hi @francispoulin, thanks for your reply.

Just to confirm, have you tried the steps I shared with krischik in my post above? If not, please try those steps and let us know if you are now prompted for your fingerprint more consistently.

If the issue continues, I'd like to ask for the make and model of your device as well as the version of Android and 1Password installed. Additionally, are you using a work profile or have you recently added or removed saved biometry from your device? Thanks again!

• francispoulin
    francispoulin
    Community Member

Hello,

Thanks.

I tried this and I am now promoted for my fingerprint when using 1Password.

The problem is when I use Chrome, and I select autofill for a password, I am always asked for my master password.

This is on a Pixel 7.

Android 13.

1Password 8.10.1.

This is my personal phone and account.

• Hey @francispoulin, thanks for confirming that you are being prompted occasionally for your fingerprint.

If you open 1Password, unlock 1Password, then navigate back to the Chrome sign-in page, are you then prompted for your fingerprint?

• francispoulin
    francispoulin
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply @ag_audrey. I did exactly what you suggested and even after successfully unlocking 1Password with my figureprint, and keeping it open, when press auto-fill in chrome, it still asks me for my master password. I presume it should not be dong that?

• Thanks for confirming that @francispoulin, that doesn't sound right.

To help investigate further, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/138404/biometric-login-not-working#latest
    • Your forum username: francispoulin

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks very much!

• francispoulin
    francispoulin
    Community Member

Thank you for your answer and sorry for my late reply.

I have submitted a diagnostics report but after several minutes I still have not received an automatic reply.

I will post the number as soon as I receive it.

• Hi @francispoulin,

I have found the email you'd sent with the diagnostic report attached and have replied to this email with the next best steps to try. 😀

-- Brendan

• francispoulin
    francispoulin
    Community Member

Thank you for the help! I followed your instructions and I noticed that I had 2 1Passwords I could choose from. The first one was preselected, which I am guessing is version 7. I deleted it and selected the other one, version 8.

I tested it out in chrome and sure enough it now asks Open 1Password, and all is well. Thanks for noticing this small but important detail!

I guess a lesson to learn from this is when I updated to a new version I should delete the old version.

Thank you everyone for all the help and I am happy to say that my problem seems to be solved. Cheers!

• Thanks for the update @francispoulin! On behalf of Brendan and the team, you are very welcome. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

• krischik
    krischik
    Community Member

I noted that fingerprint login for the newest Samsung devices are kind of unreliable. Seems that Samsuns switched technology and not for the better. Any plans to support Face recognition for Android?

• @krischik

Face recognition in 1Password for Android requires "Class 3" facial recognition hardware, like that found on the Pixel 4, which is similar to the Face ID camera arrays on iPhones and iPads, that work by building a 3D model of your face and storing it securely.

Although some Android devices might support face unlock for the device itself (like my Pixel 7 Pro), that functionality isn't "passed through" to other apps like 1Password unless the facial recognition hardware is Class 3.

Using my Pixel 7 Pro as an example, I can unlock it using face unlock, but 1Password for Android can only "see" the fingerprint sensor.

Hope that helps explain it, but I'll be here if you have any questions. :)

• krischik
    krischik
    Community Member

No need to beat around the bush. Only the Pixel 4 is still the only Class 3 which is kind of disappointing.

• @krischik

It is disappointing, yes. I'd love to see more new devices with high-security face unlock. That would then make face unlock available to third-party apps like ours, either instead of (or in addition to) fingerprint unlock, and it'll give people more choice. Similarly, a bigger push from manufacturers to include biometrics (of any type) on Android tablets would be a big help.

• doug8800
    doug8800
    Community Member

I just started having the same issue & followed the steps above but it didn’t solve my problem. When attempting to open the app I’m met with “That didn’t work. Check your password and try again.” every time. I turned biometrics on and off and extended the lock time but always prompts me to enter the password.
    Samsung s21 fe 5g
    Android 13
    One UI 5.1
    1Password 8.10.16

Thanks for any assistance

• ag_timothy
    edited September 2023

Hi @doug8800, thanks for writing in. I'm sorry Biometric unlock isn't working as expected.

To help us determine the issue, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Android device:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/138404/biometric-login-not-working#latest
    • Your forum username: doug8800

You should receive an automated reply with a Support ID number that looks similar to: [#ABC-12345-678].  Please post that number here when you receive it.  Thanks again!

• doug8800
    doug8800
    Community Member

QGK-44493-655

• @doug8800

Thanks! I can see we've replied to you by email, and you've replied to us, so we'll continue with you by email. :)

• Blf
    Blf
    Community Member

Hi,
    I am having the same issue as doug8800 on the exact same phone.
    Is the issue resolved?
    Thanks

• Hi @Blf, thanks for writing in. I'm sorry Biometric unlock isn't working as expected.

We're currently investigating an issue where Biometric and Device unlock can stop working on some devices. If you haven't already, I'd like to ask you to try resetting Biometric unlock with these steps:
    1. Tap the account or collection icon.
    1. Tap Settings > Security.
    1. Under Unlock, select Password.
    1. Under Unlock, select Biometric.
    1. Tap back then close the Settings menu.
    1. Tap the account or collection icon > Lock.
    1. Enter your account password and unlock 1Password to finish Biometric unlock setup.

If Biometric unlock still isn't working, I'd like to ask you to send in a diagnostics report to help us investigate further. Here's that information for your reference

• Your forum username: Blf

You should receive an automated reply with a Support ID number that looks similar to: [#ABC-12345-678]. Please post that number here when you receive it. Thanks again!

• m0ises2
    m0ises2
    Community Member
    edited October 2023

Hi! I'm also having the exact same issue.

I've followed the steps described above by @ag_timothy with no luck. I've also sent an email with the diagnostics data. I haven't gotten the support number, yet.

• cifrzak
    cifrzak
    Community Member

Hi guys,
    Just flagging I have the same issue, device is Samsung S21 as well.

• NathanUK
    NathanUK
    Community Member

Having the same issue too, Samsung S21+, been ongoing for a few weeks.

• tripmckay
    tripmckay
    Community Member

For my Galaxy S21+ Samsung re-released the October software update: https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G996B/DTM/doc.html

After installing it biometric sign in works again.

• @tripmckay – That's good to know, thank you! We're keeping an eye on the situation with this, and I appreciate the link as well. :)