Best Practice Password Syncing - am I somehow causing an issue?

Options
9AmberMoog
9AmberMoog
Community Member

I have been updating passwords and I was surprised to be coming upon passwords that I had changed and tested to be sure the change took place, only to discover days later I can't log in to an account because I have the wrong password. What I am looking for are best practices and if I am, as the user, overlooking or not doing the process correctly.

I have two Mac devices, both running Ventura 13.21. and while I have installed the 2.7.0 1Password Extension for Safari, I have not been using it and it isn't active.

My process:

• I sign into the vault offline. on one Mac
  • turn on wifi the 1Password vault is now connect to the internet
  • search for the account I want to change in the vault
  • go to the website from the vault
  • copy and paste in my credentials
  • once I gain access, I change the password, etc. and verify that 1Password vault and the new password entered are one in the same.
  • log off the account
  • THEN, I log back into the account with the new credentials to verify all is in working order.

By this time, I feel assured the password has been changed and since I am online with my vault online I assume everything was in sync. However, I keep being surprised that the password somehow is incorrect in 1Password when I next visit the account site one or the other of the Macs. And in writing this issue out, I signed into both vaults on the two different computers and both are not sync'd up.

Perhaps this the issue: Each Mac has the vault, I assumed if I was connected to the internet on one Mac and made changes that it would sync up with the vault on the other Mac. Do both vaults have to be signed in and connected to the Internet at the same time in order for them to sync? Or?

Am I somehow circumventing the vaults on the two Macs syncing up with each other?

Any advice would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: 2.7.0 (not active at the moment)
OS Version: Mac 13.2.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hello @9AmberMoog! 👋

I'm sorry that you're not seeing the same items on both of your Macs, changes made in 1Password on one Mac should definitely be seen on the other Mac. So that I can better understand the situation can you please tell me the following:

1. Do you see all of your items in a correct and updated state when you log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app)?
    2. Do you see an older "Primary" standalone vault on either Mac?

Also, if you're willing to share, is there a reason why you're turning the WiFi on and off manually rather than just leaving it on all the time?

-Dave

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    Options

HI @Dave_1P Thank you for your help. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. When I sign into 1Password - it looks as if everything is there.

2. Yes when I looked at Mac "X"'s vault this morning, it had a different version of the vault than Mac "Y" did for the accounts I was specifically having issue with.

Regarding turning off wifi, it is a habit I got into, if I am not using the internet, I just turn off the connection. And, I tend to turn the connection off while logging on to my local 1Password vault thinking that perhaps it is "safer" to do so. I have no reason to think my system is compromised. Is this unnecessary and/or an issue in keeping both Macs updated. I need to add that both computers are not always on the internet at the same time and/or connected with the internet at the same time.

• @9AmberMoog

Thank you for the reply. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac (let's start with Mac "X"):

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P ... happy to send a diagnostics report. But first let me update you and tell me if you think it is necessary.

Now that I realize (hello me!!!) that the local vault on whichever Mac I am working on will not update or sync with the other Mac unless I connect with the Internet and thus the 1Password servers, I've been all set.

I just make sure IF I have updated on the on one Mac I just make sure the 2nd Mac connects to the internet (thereby letting it sync) prior to using it It's been working like a charm!

• @9AmberMoog

You're right, the 1Password app requires access to the internet (and to 1Password.com) on all of your devices in order to make sure that all of your changes are available on all devices.

If you can see all of your items on every device once you connect all of your devices to the internet then it sounds like you're all set. If you're still seeing any issues then let me know. 🙂

-Dave

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Thank you - will do!

• Sounds good! 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.