uninstalled 1 password on mac

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Hi 1password,

At the moment I am not an active and paying user of 1 password.
i quit using 1 password a couple of months ago and maybe I will be back soon.
My question is about the 1password app that was present on my Mac. I uninstalled the app and to my surprise my Mac is full of data in folders like ~/Library/Application Support/ and folders like ~/Library/Group Containers/. etc.
My question is : what kind of information is stored there end does it give access to my password data?
Is it important to delete these files? I will never use my Mac for 1password. If I come back ...I will stick to iOS.
Thanks and ..
Regards,

Running up2

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:uninstalled 1 password on mac

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Soory I forgot ....On the 1pw website was mentioned that these remaining files Iyou can locate through fthe MAC finder)...contain local 1password data including backups. What kind of backups are ment ..Do they contain any important password data?

• @Runningup2

If you used 1Password 7 they could contain full backups of your data. As always it is encrypted by your password. If you wish to remove all files you would want to follow these instructions for a full removal. Make sure your data is stored safely in some other manner off device. Once the files are removed the data is gone. We would not want you to experience data loss.

How to reset the 1Password app on a specific device manual reset but leaves folder present.

Removes everything. How to uninstall 1Password

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Tommy,

I will delete these files asap
    Onne thing I do not understand.
    You say these files are encrypted by my password. I cancelled my 1pw subscription a few months ago. Do you mean these mac files can still be opened now with the password belonginging to my old account/subscription?

• If the database remains, then yes. Your data is your data and we never lock you out of it. If you canceled you would lose things like syncing, but you'd continue to have access to that data via the local cache so that you could move it elsewhere if you decided to. By using the latter instructions "Removes everything", this would remove any and all remnants of 1Password including any previous database. It would be a clean slate on the device.

No matter what you decide please make sure you have your data safe in some fashion. It breaks our hearts to hear of folks losing access to their date. Please safe guard it.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Ok Tommy ..I will delete these files on the mac ..no problem (got a backup elsewhere)
    But how can these files on my mac contain any password data? I only installed and shortly after uninstalled the 1pw application on the mac. I never logged in with my master password on the MAC.
    I uninstalled the app on the MAC and only used 1pw on IOS Ipads. How can the files on the MAC contain any password data,while there was no connection with the 1pw server?

• @Runningup2

We can't see the state of the files/folders on your specific Mac and so we can't tell you what they might or might not contain. If you never added your 1Password account to the 1Password app on your Mac then those folders will just contain the app's preferences and won't contain your encrypted data. The folders would only contain your encrypted data if you had added your account to the app which would have allowed the app to download your data from 1Password.com and store it in the offline database in those folders.

If you're concerned about the files then using the link that Tommy posted to remove them is an option. Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.