1Password for Safari: Stop opening 1password.com every time I log in

Options
r3r344r4
r3r344r4
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I want to use 1Password for Safari without the Mac app installed. I have installed 1Password for Safari (2.8.0) via the App Store. I do not have 1Password 8 installed. I do have 1Password 7 installed. 1Password for Safari is configured to have the switch to integrate with the 1Password app turned off.

Every time I log into the extension when I start up Safari, a new tab opens and navigates to 1Password.com. Why does this happen? THere's no need to open this tab since the extension is able to show all my passwords after I log in.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @r3r344r4 - Thanks for reaching out here 🙂

I'm sorry for the trouble you're seeing when using 1Password for Safari. I have a couple questions to understand things a bit more if you don't mind:

• Do you have two-factor authentication enabled for your 1Password account?
    • Do you clear the history/cache in Safari often, or at all?

• If you do clear the history quite often - does the same behaviour happen if you log into 1Password for Safari, don't clear the cache/history, then restart Safari?
    • What settings do you have under Safari > Settings/Preferences > General > Remove history items: ?

• Do you have any other browser extensions installed in Safari, other than 1Password?
    • Do you use a VPN or proxy?

We look forward to your reply!

• r3r344r4
    r3r344r4
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Do you have two-factor authentication enabled for your 1Password account?

Yes, with a yubikey and totp.

Do you clear the history/cache in Safari often, or at all?

No, not often, but this is a new computer.

If you do clear the history quite often - does the same behaviour happen if you log into 1Password for Safari, don't clear the cache/history, then restart Safari?

I don’t habitually clear cache and this continues to happen - if has been a few months.

What settings do you have under Safari > Settings/Preferences > General > Remove history items: ?

I believe it’s 1 year. I’ll double check and update.

Do you have any other browser extensions installed in Safari, other than 1Password?

Hush, Ka-Block, Okta

Do you use a VPN or proxy?
    Yes, iCloud private relay

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@r3r344r4, thanks for the info. I'm curious, were you already prompted to authenticate through the extension and did you complete it?

Additionally, can you temporarily turn off your other extensions and iCloud private relay to see if the issue still occurs?

• r3r344r4
    r3r344r4
    Community Member
    Options

I have authenticated to the extension and am able to access my passwords without issue. I don’t authenticate on the 1Password.com tab that opens up though.

I’ll try it without those and report here.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@r3r344r4 gotcha. At this time, please do turn off the extensions and iCloud private relay and let us know how that goes!

This discussion has been closed.