Can't open 1P after migration to new Mac

Options
1PusernameWith20char
1PusernameWith20char
Community Member
edited April 2023 in Mac

I migrated to a new Mac from TimeMachine and now I can't open the 1Password app. The password that works at 1password.com and on my MBP doesn't work. I deleted /Preferences/com.1password.1password.plist and Application Support/1Password and the app and downloaded a new copy from https://1password.com/downloads/mac/thank-you/ and still can't login to the app.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.1 if this means 1Password for Safari app. Otherwise I don't know
OS Version: macOS 13.2.1
Browser:_ Safari relevant?

Comments

• @1PusernameWith20char

We have heard reports of Time Machine not correctly restoring the database, meaning your usual account password won't work to unlock it. It's not clear what the root cause of that is just now, but we're looking into it as best we can.

The following should help with that by allowing you to create a new database and pull in your information from 1Password.com

1. Make sure you have your Emergency Kit and know your account password and all data is contained on 1Password.com.
    • Double check that ALL data is on 1Password.com! We do not want you to experience any data loss. If needed, manually copy data to 1Password.com from the 1Password 8 application to ensure no data loss.

• If your local copy has data that is not present on 1Password.com you would need to manually copy it over to 1Password.com to prevent data loss.

1. Quit 1Password and all browser for good measure. Right-click 1Password in the menu bar (If it's there) and click Quit.
    2. Open Finder, and click the Go menu > Go to Folder...
      In the box that appears, copy and paste the following exactly:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/

3. Press Return.

4. You'll see a folder called Data – right-click on the folder and select Compress "Data".

5. Drag the original Data folder to the Trash.
    6. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash.
    7. Download a new copy of 1Password from here and install it - https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password.zip
    8. Wait a few moments and then open 1Password 8. You'll be taken through the setup process.

--

Optional:

1. Remove the zip file that was created earlier after you've gotten 1Password setup again and all of your data is available.
  • 1PusernameWith20char
    1PusernameWith20char
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Thank you for detailed response. Problem at step 9:

Not sure what import from browser means. I do want to import my 1P passwords

• 1PusernameWith20char
    1PusernameWith20char
    Community Member
    Options

Guess it didn't matter. I left that Step up and a couple of hours later came back and 1P login page was up and it worked.

• Sounds good. Apologies for hiccup.

This discussion has been closed.