Why does my old unlock password no longer work in 1Password 8?

Options
briandash
briandash
Community Member

I've been a 1Password customer for a very very long time. The whole point of 1Password was to have complicated generated passwords for all of your logins, and then an easy to remember password to unlock 1Password. I was forced to upgrade to 1Password 8 to continue using it with Safari. After the upgrade, my easy to remember password no longer works. After tearing my hair out trying to figure out why my password no longer worked, I finally realized that it was now the complicated generated password, that I used to use to log into the 1Password site, that is now used to unlock 1Password.

So now if I want to fill in a password, I have to open the Safari password manager, look up my 1Password account password, then copy/paste it just to unlock 1Password. This completely defeats the entire purpose of using 1Password.

I realize that you now use this "secret key" to log into the site. So I understand old website password in now app unlock password. But after logging into the site to change my unlock password back into my old one, it says that it's not complicated enough. Is this just how things are going to be now? Do I cancel my subscription?

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

This discussion has been closed.