Request: Support bundle IDs for Quick Access

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Mac

Since 1Password 6 I have several entries that aren't assigned to a website, but to an app. E. g. if I filled the URL field with "app://com.googlecode.iterm2" then this entry was proposed, when iTerm was in foreground when I was looking for a password. That way I often didn't had to search log time, as the list wasn't that long).
With 1Password 8 this seems to be no longer possible - or it's an option that is switched off by default?!
Could anyone please give me a hint?

1Password Version: 8.10.3 (81003016)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.2.1 (22D68)
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @verboese! 👋

1Password 8's Quick Access doesn't currently use bundle IDs as a way to match items to apps. There is an internal work item open to look into adding this capability and I've added your comments there so that the team is aware that this is something that you'd like to see.

That being said, you can associate an app directly with a login item by using Universal Autofill: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#12044

• Ozzy
    Ozzy
    Community Member
    Options

Ouch. I just got pushed to "upgrade" to 1Password 8 and this is a massive step backwards. I use (well, I guess, used) this with iterm literally dozens of times a week.

The Universal Autofill doesn't work, the autofill goes down the route of attaching the login/password to my "Mac Login".

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Ozzy

Are you using iTerm or iTerm2? If it's the latter then are you trying to fill your macOS admin password into iTerm 2 when using sudo commands? If so then it's normal for Universal AutoFill to use an item that contains your macOS admin username and password: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

Can you tell me a little more about the issue that you're running into? Have you given 1Password both the Accessibility and Automation permission as explained on the page that I linked above?

-Dave

• Ozzy
    Ozzy
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Basically, there are lots of day to day operations where I need a password in the terminal that is NOT related to sudo:

A database password for instance:

$ psql <host etc.>
    Password: 

or ssh identity:

$ ssh -i identity_file server
    Enter passphrase: 

I would click on the 1password 7 icon and it would give me a list of accounts and passwords I had bound to the app iterm and I would select the password I needed.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Ozzy

Thank you for the additional details. You could try linking iTerm to those items using Universal AutoFill. Try these steps:

1. Enable Universal AutoFill: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac
    2. Open iTerm and get to a password prompt.
    3. Press Shift-Command-Spacebar to open Quick Access.
    4. Search for the item that you would like to link to iTerm.
    5. Press the right arrow for more actions and then select AutoFill.
    6. Select Fill & Update Login.

Now when you open Quick Access when inside of iTerm you should see that item suggested automatically. Let me know if that helps.

-Dave

• Ozzy
    Ozzy
    Community Member
    Options

Tried a few things. One method I get "no app for app://com.googlecode.iterm2" which means 1Password is trying to use the website setting, another gives me "fe_sendauth: no password supplied" which means 1Password is sending an empty string. I think it sent the username instead of the password all the other times.

It also asks me if I want to update my system password every time which seems a recipe for getting locked out.

I'll wait and see if 1Password restores the app bundle functionality or comes up with a Universal Autofill that isn't so finicky.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Ozzy

Thank you for the feedback, I've added your comments to the internal work item open to look into adding support for bundle IDs to 1Password 8's Quick Access.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.