Do I need to have both the Mac 1Password app AND the Safari Extension on my MacBook?

Options
gumdrop
gumdrop
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, I have both the Mac app and the Safari extension on my MacBook. I don't really understand if I need just one or both of them.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.0
OS Version: Ventura 13.2.1
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension Mac app

Comments

• Hello @gumdrop! 👋

Good question! I recommend that you keep both installed. While the 1Password app allows you to easily manage and edit your items, 1Password for Safari allows you to save and fill logins right inside of the browser. They work together to ensure that you have access to your items everywhere on your Mac.

Let me know if you have any questions. 😊

-Dave

• gumdrop
    gumdrop
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much Dave! Maybe the website folks will consider adding that tidbit to the description - just like you explained it! Inquiring minds want to know these things! =)

• @gumdrop

Thank you for the feedback, I'll pass it along to the appropriate team. 🙂

-Dave

• ponyboy3
    ponyboy3
    Community Member
    Options

I personally i find the extension a pain. Id rather use the command+\ and have that be able to save/update. Most of my issues with this productvare because of the extension.

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @ponyboy3 - Thanks for joining in here 🙂

I'm sorry to hear your experience with the extension has been met with some difficulty, and I'd be happy to assist in any way I can.

• Could you share an example of a situation where you weren't able to save/update an item, and that using Cmd + / would have helped?
    • Can you elaborate a bit further on where you've been experiencing difficulty with the extension?
      • Do you see issues on any specific websites you can share?
This discussion has been closed.