Today I received the following error from 1Password extension for Chrome browser on the latest macOS.
I'm using 1Password 8 app.
! Something went wrong
An unknown database error occurred. You can try:
Need more help?
[Contact 1Password Support]
Inspecting DevTools, I found the following errors from the console:
[BackgroundStorage] Using browser.storage.persistent
background.js:2 [BackgroundStorage] Using browser.storage.session
background.js:2 Uncaught (in promise) Error: PersistentStorage not yet initialized. Try awaiting for this.init() to resolve before calling.
at eue._initError (background.js:2:2207589)
at eue.getItem (background.js:2:2208195)
at Object.getItem (background.js:2:2211039)
at efe (background.js:2:2290223)
at yme (background.js:2:2358588)
at Hye (background.js:2:2386684)
background.js:2 👋 Initializing 1Password
background.js:2 channel: stable
build: 20242 (220.127.116.11)
browser: Chrome (18.104.22.168)
os: MacOSX (10.15.7)
background.js:2 WASM: Initializing. Log Level: Info
background.js:2 Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: Internal error opening backing store for indexedDB.open.
15Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received.
9Unchecked runtime.lastError: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
In addition, I found the following issue on the [issues] tab of the DevTools console:
Audit usage of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion, and navigator.platform
A page or script is accessing at least one of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion, and navigator.platform. Starting in Chrome 101, the amount of information available in the User Agent string will be reduced.
To fix this issue, replace the usage of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion, and navigator.platform with feature detection, progressive enhancement, or migrate to navigator.userAgentData.
Note that for performance reasons, only the first access to one of the properties is shown.
Learn more: User-Agent String Reduction
I hope that would help your inspections.
1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: macOS 13.2.1
Browser:_ Chrome 110
You indicated you were using 1Password 8 in your text and in the survey questions you mentioned 1Password 7. Can you clarify? It's probably just a typo, but better to double check. 🙂 Anyway moving on, did you manage get going again? Was this just more of a for your information post? Did you need the extensions teams support? Thanks for any additional information you can give.
It was a typo, sorry. I surely use 1Password 8.
The symptom still persists and I need a help.
Thanks for clearing that up. I'd start by making sure Chrome is up to date. I had an update yesterday morning. You might have one pending. The unknown database error could be related to a known issue. I'd like to ask you to reach out to the extension team directly so they can gather the needed logs to further assist you.
Please email us using
[email protected]. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. I would recommend including a link to this topic, so hopefully you do not need to repeat a lot of what you've said.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Perhaps I found a workaround for the issue.
Actually, I use Coherence X https://www.bzgapps.com/coherence to build multiple Chrome instances.
I noticed that the issue occurs if more than one Chrome instances activates 1Password extension, which implies the extension works exclusively.
Disabling them except one resolve the issue for now.