Problem Logging Into Proton Mail Using Safari

Options
WA Dan
WA Dan
Community Member

When I try to log on to Proton Mail at https://account.proton.me/login, using the 1Password Safari extension, my various accounts saved in 1Password show in the Email or username field, but if I click on one of them it doesn't fill the fields. Also if I open 1Password in the extension and click Autofill it similarly doesn't fill the fields.

If I type in the user name and password, without hitting enter, then click the Save in 1Password button, then I get a pop up box saying Save in but get a continuous spinning progress wheel.

If I open the stand alone 1Password app and select the saved account it will open a tab in Chrome and fill in the information correctly.

In the settings for the page in Safari I tried unchecking Enable Content Blockers and allowing pop up blockers. I have already tried restarting my computer.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: macOS 13.3
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:safari proton mail

Comments

• Hi Dan,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having on this website in Safari, I have been doing some testing but I'm having a hard time reproducing the issue.

Can you let me know if you experience this behaviour on any other website in Safari? Is the behaviour the same if you refresh the page in Safari and then try to fill?

In addition, can you check for updates for 1Password for Safari? The latest version is 2.9.0.

Let us know if this improves things!

• WA Dan
    WA Dan
    Community Member
    Options

I also have the same problem with T-Mobile at https://account.t-mobile.com. Refreshing doesn't fix the issue.

Yes, I'm using 2.9.0.

• WA Dan
    WA Dan
    Community Member
    Options
  • WA Dan
    WA Dan
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles Even with 2.10.0 the issue persists.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi @WA Dan, I'm sorry about the continued troubles. It sounds like the extension might be running into syncing issues, which is why things are not filling or saving normally. I'd like for you to try the following to reset and resync the extension in Safari:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Under Accounts & Vaults, sign out of your account.
    4. Sign back into your account.
    5. Go back to General, and re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".
      • If you don't have the 1Password app installed, you can skip step 5 and leave app integration disabled.

After that, please go to our test website at https://fill.dev/form/login-simple, save a login, and try filling it. If you're still running into issues, then please let us know the following:

• Are you still seeing the spinning wheel when trying to save a login?
    • Are you able to manually save a login?
    • Do you get a message such as "unable to save"?
    • What happens when you try to fill the login?
    • Do you have any other extensions installed in Safari?

We look forward to hearing how things go.

• WA Dan
    WA Dan
    Community Member
    Options

I did that then used the test web site. I wasn't clear how to use the site. I created a new login for 1Password for that site and entered a user name and password. Then on the test website it successfully autofilled. When I then went to the Hawaiian Airlines site, though, it still wouldn't fill it in.

• Hi @WA Dan,

I'm wondering if it is something to do with the way your Hawaiian Airlines item is saved. Can you try the below steps on the Hawaiian Airlines site:

1. Go to the log in page
    2. Manually enter your log in details but don't click enter or sign in.
    3. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose 'Save Login'
    4. Give it a title and click Save.
    5. Now refresh the page and see if you are able to fill using 1Password.

Let us know how you get on.

• WA Dan
    WA Dan
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @steph.giles (after I enter the @ and start to type your handle when I select that it just puts it in quotes rather than a hyperlink for some reason - perhaps after I post it will convert it).

When I right click the 1Password icon my only options are Settings, Help, Manage Extension, and Customize Toolbar.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi again @WA Dan!

Hello @steph.giles (after I enter the @ and start to type your handle when I select that it just puts it in quotes rather than a hyperlink for some reason - perhaps after I post it will convert it).

This is happening because Steph's handle has a period [.] in it. This also occurs when there is a space in the handle, such as with yours. There's nothing to worry about, as you were able to tag Steph, and we've been able to tag you as well.

When I right click the 1Password icon my only options are Settings, Help, Manage Extension, and Customize Toolbar.

Hmm, could you share a screenshot of what you are seeing here with us? If you need any help taking a screenshot, there is a nice guide over at https://www.take-a-screenshot.org. Once you have the image, make sure to remove or mask any private info. Lastly, attach the screenshot to your reply and send it over!

• WA Dan
    WA Dan
    Community Member
    Options

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wa dan that's interesting. Is the extension unlocked? I only see those limited options when the extension is locked on my end. Could you unlock the extension, right click on the 1Password extension icon, and then see if you get an option to Save Login?

Here's a video for reference: https://share.cleanshot.com/PwwkWswk

Let us know how that goes.

• WA Dan
    WA Dan
    Community Member
    Options

@Joy_1P After unlocking I was able to get the Save Login option, thanks. When I then went to save the logon to Hawaiian Airlines as suggested earlier, it only gave me the option to update my already saved login. I'm uncertain if I should do that or if I need to delete the entry (or maybe just remove the website entry) first.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wa dan I tried creating a video to show you how to manually save a new login but in the middle of that, I was able to reproduce the filling issue that you had mentioned. It looks like there is something in the website's code that is preventing 1Password from filling the username and password fields normally. I have reported the Hawaiian Airlines website to our developers for further investigation. Hopefully there will be a fix for this in the future.

For now, I recommend copying/pasting or clicking/dragging your username and password to the form. This can be done via the extension or the app.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience of those extra steps, but I do hope they can help until there is a better solution. Please let us know if you have any questions or if you run into any other filling issues.

ref: dev/core/core#22224

• WA Dan
    WA Dan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Joy_1P. As I initially said, it’s also a problem with Proton Mail and T-Mobile.

• Hey @WA Dan,

I'm sorry for the delayed response.

Can you let me know the exact website URL's you have saved within your items for Proton Mail and T-Mobile?

Thanks!

• WA Dan
    WA Dan
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles It seems like Proton Mail and T-Mobile are working now, for some reason.

• Thank you for the update @WA Dan, let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.