is transition from 1password classic required?

Options
helpmehelpu
helpmehelpu
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I have been a loyal and very active customer and proponent of 1Password since I started using it in 2009. I try to get everyone I know to use it because it's an awesome tool I would not want to be without.

Today I got a pop-up message: 1Password Classic will stop working soon. As of July 1, 2023, this extension will no longer be compatible with your browser.

Does this mean that users MUST transition from the desktop version to the web version? Are there ANY viable alternatives to just keeping the desktop version?

1Password Version: 7.9.10 (70910002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOs 13.2.1 (22D68)
Browser:_ Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge
Referrer: forum-search:is transition from 1password classic required

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hello @helpmehelpu! 👋

Thank you for being part of 1Password for so many years and for your advocacy in helping friends and family secure their data.

1Password Classic was last updated in 2019. It was built on older technologies and will not be compatible with future updates to web browsers. Our latest extension, 1Password in the browser, is in active development: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

Does this mean that users MUST transition from the desktop version to the web version? Are there ANY viable alternatives to just keeping the desktop version?

1Password 8 for Mac is the latest version of the desktop app and works great with 1Password in the browser. You can find out how to upgrade here: Upgrade to 1Password 8 for Mac

-Dave

• helpmehelpu
    helpmehelpu
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Dave. Perhaps I asked the wrong question, given you said that 1Password Classic was last updated in 2019. I am 100% certain that my version of 1PW--Version 7.9.10 (70910002)--is newer than 2019 and is updated with some regularity.

What I mean is the 1PW 7 style of app, where there's the app and the browser extensions, as well as the iOS versions for iPhone and iPad, which I also use regularly.

So my question really is Is the 1PW 7 style of app no longer going to work or be supported? Or does EVERYONE have to move to the web-based version? I am sure I am not the only holdout or person reluctant to move everything online.

Thanks again!

Doug

• Dave_1P
    edited April 2023
    Options

@helpmehelpu

Thank you for the reply. I can confirm that the 1Password Classic extension hasn't been updated since 2019: 1Password Classic Browser Extension Release Notes

With the release of 1Password 8, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates going forward. We're now focused on 1Password 8, our new desktop app. 1Password 8 is available as a local app on every platform, you don't need to use 1Password.com to access your items. You can download the desktop app and extension for all major platforms and browsers:

1Password 8 does require a 1Password.com membership and uses your 1Password account to make sure that your data is available on each of your devices and backed up securely. Do you have a 1Password membership already or are you currently using an older licensed standalone vault synced using iCloud or Dropbox?

-Dave

• helpmehelpu
    helpmehelpu
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again, Dave. We are getting closer to the answer to my question.

I do not believe I have a 1PW membership and believe I have a licensed standalone vault synced on iCloud (and formerly on DB).

So my question really is Will the standalone version continue to work on Macs/iOS devices for the foreseeable future or are users required to obtain a membership and use 1PW 8?

Thanks again!

Doug

• Dave_1P
    edited April 2023
    Options

@helpmehelpu

You can continue to use 1Password 7 on both your Mac and iOS devices for as long as the old app continues to work on those devices.

1Password Classic, the old extension that was responsible for saving and filling logins in the browser on the Mac, will stop working soon. We’ve held on to the classic extension for as long as possible, but it was built on older technologies and will not be compatible with future updates to web browsers. The future for 1Password in the browser is our modern extension.

The modern extension doesn't work with old standalone vaults and requires a membership. I recommend sending an email to our support team at support+tradein@1password.com so that they can take a look at your license and advise on the best path forward. 🙂

-Dave

• helpmehelpu
    helpmehelpu
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Dave.

• @helpmehelpu

I'm happy to help. I see the email that you sent in and confirm that it made it to the right team, please continue the discussion there. Since we have a communications channel open via email I'm closing this thread. 🙂

-Dave

ref: IIX-83924-673

This discussion has been closed.