Run a script on login to Windows to Unlock 1Password application

Options
WillishBroadbino
WillishBroadbino
Community Member

Hi all,

Recently started using 1Password and I'm wondering if there is a way to automate the login for the 1Password app when windows starts up?

My PC doesnt have fingerprint ID or a webcam so I can't use windows Hello to speed that up and my password is very long so it's annoying to type in every time. My PC itself is already password protected so I'd be totally fine from a security standpoint with the 1Password app being automatically authenticated on startup. (I removed all the auto-lock stuff, but it seems that it is still locking when I power down my PC by design)

Has anyone done anything to attempt this already if not, any ideas if there's a way to unlock the 1Password desktop app via a terminal command?

I can knock together a script easy enough, I'm just not sure what mechanisms are available to me to unlock the app programatically (if any) so would appreciate some direction

Thanks,
Will

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @WillishBroadbino! I understand that you'd like to speed up or automate the unlock process when Windows starts up.

While there's no way to automate the unlock process, you can speed things up by unlocking 1Password using a Windows Hello PIN, instead of your account password. As long as your device is TPM 2.0-enabled, you can allow Hello unlock to persist through system restarts:

1. Make sure that Windows Hello PIN is set up on your device: Learn about Windows Hello and set it up - Microsoft Support
    2. Press the Windows key on your keyboard, click 1Password near the top, and unlock the app.
    3. In the top left, next to the word 1Password, click ⋮ > Settings > Security.
    4. Check the option to Unlock using Windows Hello.
    5. Check the option to Use the Trusted Platform Module with Windows Hello, and click Turn On.
    6. Adjust the Require password setting to meet your needs.
    7. Fully quit and relaunch 1Password, enter your account password, and then approve the Hello dialog that appears to complete the setup.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions or concerns, let me know! 😄

This discussion has been closed.