Can I link a 1Password password item to a specific iPhone app instead of a web site URL?

Options
Pierre999
Pierre999
Community Member

I would like to use 1Password with Apple Store apps. I do not know how to proceed and I wonder if it is currently feasible or would require 1Passord to develop this functionality. At the moment, I have no other option but to launch an app on my iPhone, then open 1Password and search for the item as 1Password does not prompt me with the password item corresponding to the iPhone app, since my iPhone app is not linked to the item.
Is there a way to proceed, a workaround or would that be a new functionality?
Thank you in advance for your reply,
Pierre

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 16.4.1 (a)
Browser:_ N.A.
Referrer: forum-search:searching password item for iphone app

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Pierre999! 👋

I'm sorry that you're unable to fill logins into other apps. Have you already enabled Password AutoFill on your iPhone? You can enable it by following these steps:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords.
    4. Select 1Password.

Then try to fill your login again using this guide: Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

If that still doesn't work then let me know. 🙂

-Dave

• Pierre999
    Pierre999
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

Thanks a bunch for your prompt reply.

The AutoFill setting that you mentioned was already enabled on my iPhone. Actually, the autofill does works on my iPhone apps, but not with Synology apps such as, for example, DS Audio or DS Photo. However, after carefully reading the guide that you mentioned, I noticed that apps must have an [associated domain support entitlement] (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/supporting-associated-domains) for 1Password to present the credentials of the 1Password item that is linked to the web site URL the app relates to. Is that a good understanding? My conclusion is that the Synology apps do not have associated domain entitlement....
    Does that make sense? If it does, I will contact Synology support and request the domain entitlement...

Kind regards,
    Pierre

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Pierre999

Thank you for the additional details. Password AutoFill will indeed match the apps that you use to your login items in 1Password by taking the associated domain associated with an app and comparing it against the website URL in your login items. If there is a match then Password AutoFill will offer to fill your login information.

If your login item is not being suggested for a particular app then you'll need to add the app's associated domain to your login item in 1Password. When you tap on the username or password field in an app you'll see the Password AutoFill prompt appear (above your keyboard), tap on the prompt and then search for the appropriate login item. Then, tap on that Login Item and tap Fill & Update Login.

If you don't see Fill & Update Login when you search for and tap on a Login Item then it means that the developer of that app hasn't added an associated domain and there is nothing for Password AutoFill to use to match the app to a Login item in 1Password. This means that you'll need to search for the correct Login item. Reaching out to the developer to request that they add an associated domain seems like a good idea to me. 🙂

-Dave

• Pierre999
    Pierre999
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a bunch, I have contacted Synology support.
    Best,
    Pierre

• ag_tommy
    Options

On behalf of Dave, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.