Stuck on 1Password Nightly Build

Options

A couple of days I made the mistake of accidentally choosing the "nightly" branch in settings (from the stable version).
I immediately changed it back, however 1Password updated to the Nightly branch nonetheless.

This results in me being unable to change back to the stable branch.
I have also noticed that even after changing the branch back to stable, I am still being given fresh Nightly builds.
I would expect to not receive any updates until there is a stable version newer than the current nightly build.

If I manually install the stable version it cannot access the data in my vault (I believe I can clear all 1password files and it should work).

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.7 (81007018)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

If you're running a nightly build, it has upgraded the internal database structure to its new version. This upgrade takes place for every new app version. If you want to switch back to a stable release, you cannot directly go back, because that stable version is older, thus it cannot deal with the upgraded database.
    If you observe the release cycle thoroughly, you will see that every day a new nightly is released. Every week a beta is released instead of a nightly, and about every month a stable release is released instead of a beta. In general you can say once a week one nightly is picked and released as beta, and once a month one nightly is picked and released as release.

Because of this, you continue to receive nightly builds even if you switched back to the stable release channel, up to the date when a new stable release is released. This moment you get the new stable release, which also supports that upgraded internal database structure, and you're back to stable.

If you ask me, the nightly builds are as good as releases. They are not experimental, continuously crashing development versions that destroy your data every other day - no. They just change slightly more often than the stable versions, but I've never seen any destructive element the last 2 years.

• ScottS1P
    Options

Hi there @bevankay and @Tertius3,

If you'd like to switch off of the Nightly build, follow these steps:

1. Before proceeding with the rest of these steps, sign in to 1Password.com in your web browser and review recent changes you've made to make sure your data is up to date. Double-check any items you recently created or edited, plus any others you know to be important.
    2. Make sure you have your Emergency Kit for every 1Password account you have, and can sign in to 1Password.com without using 1Password to autofill the information. If you can't sign in online, do not proceed with these directions. Stop here and contact support+LPimporter@1passsword.com for help.
    3. Quit all web browsers with 1Password in your browser (the extension) installed.
    4. Fully quit 1Password, using the icon in the menu bar or system tray.
    5. Remove 1Password from your device.
    6. Reset 1Password to remove 1Password data from your device, if you didn't already do this as a part of the last step.
    7. Download and reinstall 1Password.
    8. Sign into your account(s) as usual and you will be back on the production version of 1Password. If you have any problems, email support@1password.com for help.

Thank you,

This discussion has been closed.