Too Many Hellos

Options
pathfinder76
pathfinder76
Community Member

Every day, i get a warning that i need to type my master password "You need to enter your account password before you can use Windows Hello" but i only have have my settings to require every 2 weeks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Nusaram
    Nusaram
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, it's not perfect; there are issues.

I also have it set for every two weeks and, initially, it would frequently ask me for the master password, especially after reboots.

It is much better today, though; it goes a long time before it asks me for the password again.

My understanding is that the experience will vary depending on your hardware.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @pathfinder76, thanks for reaching out! You mentioned that 1Password is requesting your account password on a daily basis - is this after you've restarted your device?

If so, this sounds like the expected behaviour with just the Windows Hello unlock setting enabled. You'll still need to use your account password under certain circumstances, such as the first time you unlock 1Password after a restart of the app or your device. This is because 1Password doesn't have a secure place to persistently store the decryption key for Windows Hello to access, and so it will abandon this key during a restart to protect it from unauthorized access.

This behaviour can be improved if your device is TPM 2.0-enabled, as the TPM provides a secure place for 1Password to store the decryption key. If you'd like Windows Hello unlock to persist through restarts, you can follow the steps below:

1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard, and click 1Password near the top.
    2. Unlock with your usual credentials if prompted.
    3. In the top left, next to the word 1Password, click ⋮ > Settings > Security.
    4. Check the option to Use the Trusted Platform Module with Windows Hello.

I hope this helps, but if I've missed the mark, or if you have any further questions, let me know 😄

This discussion has been closed.