When will passkey support be introduced to 1Password on iOS?

Options
System
edited September 2023 in iOS
This discussion was created from comments split from: Identify as “new”Passkey” Websites.

Comments

• bgo125
    bgo125
    Community Member
    Options

When will passkeys be available for the 1Password8 app for iOS?

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @bgo125! 👋

I'm excited to share that today we're introducing support for saving and filling passkeys using 1Password in the browser on the desktop. You can read more about the big news here: Save and Sign In with Passkeys Using 1Password In the Browser

Saving and filling passkeys is only available in the beta version of 1Password in the (desktop) browser for now. However, if you save a passkey on your desktop then you'll be able to view that same passkey using 1Password for iOS. You aren't be able to fill that passkey on iOS just yet.

The team is hard at work at getting full passkey support on iOS ready (including saving and filling on iOS) and we'll have more to share soon. 🙂

-Dave

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

Apple only announced Passkey APIs for iOS 17 yesterday (5 June 2023): https://developer.apple.com/passkeys/

No mention of backporting the feature to older versions of iOS from Apple.

In previous years, 1Password hasn't deployed new iOS features to beta until iOS release date (or very close to it). So I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see support until September.

IMO, it would be great if 1Password had another TestFlight for 1Password Nightly for those of us who install the developer or public beta who would test these features in advance.

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1PW Beta installed - how can I use the scan QR code passkey mechanism? Isn't there the scanner in 1PW yet?

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    Options

Wondering this too.

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

We've just released a sneak peak at what passkeys will look like in iOS 17: Passkeys, iOS 17, and 1Password: A Sneak Peek at What’s Coming 🎉

Scroll down in the article to see a video that provides a glimpse into the passwordless future on iOS. 😊

-Dave

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hi,

As the Apple Event is tommorrow and typically they release Release Candidate software versions after the events. I typically update to the RC versions as I feel it's mostly safe to do so.

If I do this, does the version of 1PW on TestFlight support the new Passkey filling capabilities added in iOS 17?

If not then I realise the final release shouldn't be far behind so it's not a big deal. Just wondering that's all!

Thanks,

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• Maelstromeous
    Maelstromeous
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P considering iOS 17 is coming out quite literally next Monday, is there any updates on when we will be seeing Passkeys enabled on 1password 8, either via TestFlight or official builds?

• @Maelstromeous

Sorry, there are not updates at this time. Hopefully, it will not be too much longer before you'll be able to work with those passkeys.

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member
    Options

Passkeys on iOS 17 with the latest TestFlight is now live for me.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Passkeys on iOS 17 with the latest TestFlight is now live for me.

Wow, indeed: passkeys do work with build 81016026 on my iPad running iOS 17 RC 🎉

Damn, now I have another reason to buy a new iPhone… (my iPhone X won’t get iOS 17 😢)

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member
    Options

Didn’t work very well signing in on a laptop and scanning the qr code with my phone with 1Password on it.

Kept hanging after selecting use passkey

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Just successfully signed in to my Adobe account with my passkey via 1Password! Seamless and perfect!

Nice work 1PW team!

UPDATE: Both Google and GitHub also both worked flawlessly. I think one thing that's confusing about passkys is that different companies integrate it in different ways:

• Adobe, you click "Sign in with Passkey", I choose the key via the 1PW popup and sign in complete.
    • Google, similar to above.
    • Github, you enter both username and password, then click "Use security key" on next page. It's more like 2FA in this instance.
  • telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

deleted

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Github, you enter both username and password, then click "Use security key" on next page. It's more like 2FA in this instance.

Try this:

https://github.com/login?passkey=true

That will enable you to log in via a passkey without entering username/password first.

(This is a temporary solution until their passkey support moves out of beta)

• Maelstromeous
    Maelstromeous
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

@XIII when I tried that it came up saying

However once I entered my username / password combo I could sign in via passkey quite easily. Since 1password autofills it, it isn't so much of a problem, it's still very quick indeed.

• jfroy
    jfroy
    Community Member
    Options

However once I entered my username / password combo I could sign in via passkey quite easily. Since 1password autofills it, it isn't so much of a problem, it's still very quick indeed.

You need to upgrade your passkey to support login, and not just 2FA. You first need to enable Passkey logins in experimental features:

Then at https://github.com/settings/security you should be able to upgrade your passkey (or register a new one).

• Maelstromeous
    Maelstromeous
    Community Member
    Options

Ahh thanks @jfroy! Works like a charm. I was missing the fact you had to turn it on via feature preview.

• Hello everyone,

Just to close this conversation, saving & signing in with passkeys on iOS is indeed now available: 🔑 Save & sign in with passkeys on iOS — 1Password Community

If you run into any issues then please create a new thread, our team is ready to provide assistance. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.