Firefox extension not working

Options
Verbatim1
Verbatim1
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello
using 1Password 7.9 with a standalone primary vault, the classic firefox extension is there but not working any more.
is there a way to reactivate the classic firefox extension? I prefer to stay with 1Password 7 because I use a primary standalone vault.

thank you in advance

Verbatim1

1Password Version: 7.9,833
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 11 home
Browser:_ Firefox / Chrome

Comments

• themofoman
    themofoman
    Community Member
    Options

This is what I just found out.

The 1Password classic extension will stop working in July 2023
    Published: March 13, 2023
    About the issue

On July 10, 2023, the 1Password classic extension for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Brave will no longer be supported.
    What you should do

If you use the 1Password classic extension, follow these steps to continue filling and saving in your browser:

Upgrade to 1Password 8 for Mac or Windows.
    Get 1Password in your browser.
    Remove the 1Password classic extension.

• Thyresias
    Thyresias
    Community Member
    Options

We are not in July, this is not the right explanation : it does not work only on Firefox.
    On Chrome and Vivaldi, everything still works.

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello everyone,

edit on August 29th, 2023: Please see my update here.

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble when using 1Password Classic in Firefox. The old 1Password Classic extension was last updated in 2019. It was built on older technologies and will not be compatible with future updates to web browsers: The 1Password classic extension will stop working in July 2023

If the old classic extension isn't working in the latest version of Firefox then it's possible that a change introduced by a recent update to Firefox resulted in something breaking. The change in behaviour that you're seeing wouldn't have been caused by any 1Password updates to the extension itself since, as mentioned, there have been no new updates for many years.

Upgrading to our modern extension is the way forward since we continually update it to stay on top of updates to different browsers. If you're using an old license with 1Password then I recommend that you reach out to our support team so that they can take a look at your license and advise on the best path forward. You can reach the team by sending an email to support+tradein@1password.com.

-Dave

• Thyresias
    Thyresias
    Community Member
    Options

Notice the problem was transient, with version 114 of Firefox: as of 116, the extension still works.
    We are end of August, and this still works, so this is incorrect:

The 1Password classic extension will stop working in July 2023

I guess this was based on the announcement of the end of Manifest v2 support in Chrome in June 2023. The end of this support is now planned "somewhere in 2024", if I understand correctly. And Firefox will support both v2 and v3, as far as I know. ^_^

• @Thyresias

Thank you for following up. Our support article regarding the classic extension has been updated: The 1Password classic extension may no longer work in your browser

The relevant portion:

The 1Password classic extension is no longer supported by 1Password, and may stop working in modern versions of Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Brave.

It's possible that another change to Firefox in the future may break things again and the classic extension is no longer receiving updates or bug fixes. I recommend that you upgrade to our modern extension which we continually test, update, and support: Get to know 1Password in your browser

Since the original issue appears to be resolved, I'm closing this thread.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.