Passkeys in iOS

Options
System
edited September 2023 in iOS
This discussion was created from comments split from: Passkey beta available?.

Comments

• Ash79
    Ash79
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

@Dave_1P

Hi, will 1Password for iOS be able to authenticate logins in iOS (Safari) via passkey in the future? I noticed that currently 1Password for iOS only saves passkey and cannot authenticate logins like 1Password for mac with Chrome extension.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Ash79! πŸ‘‹

Thank you for the question! I've split your comment into the iOS category since it's better suited living here.

Just last week, we released a sneak peak at what passkeys will look like in iOS 17: Passkeys, iOS 17, and 1Password: A Sneak Peek at What’s Coming πŸŽ‰

Let me know if you have any questions after giving that a look. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    Options

This doesn't address a more important question.

I've moved (recreated from scratch) some passkeys from iCloud Keychain to 1Password. Despite using all of the betas for all platforms, 1Password for iOS tells me that I have a passkey, but doesn't seen to let me use it.

And there's no fallback to iCloud keychain (or syncing with iCloud keychain β€” not criticizing, just objectively noting), which essentially makes the solution unusable at this point.

While I understand that iOS 17 will provide APIs to enable using passkeys in apps, are you also suggesting we'll have to wait until this fall to get 1Password passkeys supported for websites in the iOS app?

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2023
    Options

@Ryan Parman

Currently, there isn't an API for 1Password to use to save and fill passkeys inside of Safari and other apps on iOS devices. That API will be introduced by Apple with iOS 17 and we're working with Apple and other partners at the FIDO Alliance to make sure that you'll be able to fill and save passkeys on all of your devices.

For now, most services should allow you to sign in using another method even if you've registered a passkey for that service. For example, if you've added a passkey to your Google account you can still sign in to your Google account on iOS using your password.

I hope that helps! πŸ™‚

-Dave

• benf
    benf
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

The API is available in iOS 17 and I'm currently running iOS 17. Do you have a TestFlight version that includes these features in iOS 17 or do we have to wait for public release?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@benf

We don't currently have a TestFlight version of 1Password for iOS that includes support for passkeys in the iOS 17 beta. As we get closer to the final release of iOS 17 we'll have more to announce.

If you'd like to be alerted as soon as there is an update then I encourage you to sign up for our passwordless newsletter. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• 1proller
    1proller
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Dave_1P

I wonder is passkey available on iOS? because watchtower shows that I have multiple logins available on passkey , yes I'm on beta in both 1Password beta 8.10.12 and iOS beta 2

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

@1proller

A few months ago, we added a new category to Watchtower for Login items with websites that support passkeys. This would be what you're seeing in your screenshot.

Full support for passkeys in 1Password on iOS will be coming in the future after iOS 17 is released: Passkeys, iOS 17, and 1Password: A Sneak Peek at What’s Coming

-Dave

• Maelstromeous
    Maelstromeous
    Community Member
    Options

For those on the iOS 17 beta, and iOS 17 itself basically around the corner, could we have a Test Flight release where 1password allows logins via passkeys? It's sorely missing, and I would expect 1password wants users to test they actually work before Apple releases the final version.

• Zayatoshi
    Zayatoshi
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello
    Yes I have exactly the same problem. With the few sites allowing passwords (paypal / google...), it is almost impossible to integrate them into 1password Beta 8.10.16. 1 password crash. AND with the official version, the integration of a password in IOS 17 only offers the icloud keychain.

• Hello everyone,

Just to close this conversation, saving & signing in with passkeys on iOS is now available: πŸ”‘ Save & sign in with passkeys on iOS β€” 1Password Community

If you run into any issues then please create a new thread, our team is ready to provide assistance. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.