Jumping back and forth between multiple safari windows

Options
ricco404
ricco404
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

I have an annoying issue with signing in to my company VPN. When I want to log in the VPN app uses the browser to authenticate. For some reason it 1) opens a completely new Safari window, and 2) puts this window on a completely different desktop space (corporate IT in a nutshell).

The problem is that when I use the keyboard shortcut to fill my VPN password, 1Password jumps back to the desktop space where the other Safari window is. This means I need to actually open 1Password and copy the password myself to fill it in. 2FA autofills just fine.

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: 2.11.0
OS Version: 13.4
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:multiple safari windows

Comments

• Hey @ricco404,

1Password will try to fill the window that is in focus, if you click to focus the VPN app after it has opened that new Safari window can you then sue the shortcut to fill as you would expect?

• ricco404
    ricco404
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. The VPN app isn't really involved. It just sits in the menu bar. I click it to log on and it opens a new Safari window which I need to use to log on. This window only has one tab (the login dialog) and will close again after I log in. Usually, when I try to fill in the password focus jumps back to the other Safari window. However, this morning it worked just fine.

• Thanks for getting back to me @ricco404.

If you are able to reproduce it I'd love to see a screen recording if you are able to capture it so we can take a closer look.

In the meantime, I hope things are smooth sailing. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

• ricco404
    ricco404
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, but it was a bit overwhelming to make a screen capture without giving away too much personal information :)

Here's a short video that hopefully describes what the problem is: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/np8anzhytz16czi82g2n6/video.mp4?rlkey=aq474va21fmk0uebi3ipn3ytr&dl=0

When I try to fill in the password, focus jumps back to the other Safari window.

• ricco404
    ricco404
    Community Member
    Options

This has gotten even worse on macOS Sonoma, actually. Now, when I use my 1Password shortcut in the second Safari window, I find the correct entry in the list of logins, and when I select the one I want, it switches back to the original window and attempts to fill in the password there.

• Hey @ricco404,
    No problem at all about the late reply. For security reasons, we cannot click on links to download the video. I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can help you.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/140768
    • Your forum username: ricco404
    • If you can attach the screen recording to the email. If the file size is too large, please let us know and we can send you a secure upload link.

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I’ll be able to locate your message and make sure it’s gotten to the right place.

We look forward to assisting you further, @ricco404.

-Evon

• ricco404
    ricco404
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, it has been done. The Support ID is [#WQW-24636-139]

• Hi @ricco404

Thank you for posting the Support ID! I’ve located your message and myself or another colleague will get back to you as soon as possible over email. Please check your inbox and let’s continue the conversation there. To prevent having the conversation in two different places at once I’m closing this thread.

ref: WQW-24636-139

This discussion has been closed.