Update of 1password classic extension for firefox

Options
cma
cma
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I use 1password 7 with local vault and online vault.
i need local vault as I don't want some credentials going to the cloud (whatever secure is such cloud),
also I am not allowed to put some professional credentials to the cloud by my employer for security. (We have been using two other password-vault in the cloud in the past and whatever 'yes we are super secure bla bla bla' evidences they provided, they were hacked, forcing us to spend lots of time and money to secure again our business).

I have been using 1password 7 and the classic firefox extension, as you even recommended here in other article in this forum.
But now you stop 1password classic extension, removing all advantage to use 1password with firefox.

You must continue to support local vault in your product.
Not everybody can/want/need to have their life, secrets, credentials in the cloud.

I use 1password for a long time, with multiple licenses on multiple versions, but if you don't stop this
'we are not evil' a-la google/amazon/facebook/apple, I will be forced to leave your ecosystem and use another tool (probably opensource)
that will allow me to manage MY credentials locally.

I still hope you will listen to all the users in those forum that want to stay in 1password 7, and retrofit local vault in 1password 8.

Anybody a little techno aware, that follow the news, or work in the security field want to protect their private life and don't want their most secrets stuff in the cloud.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.9.10
Extension Version: classic
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ firefox

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @cma! 👋

Thank you for using 1Password for such a long time! I can definitely appreciate your concerns about security, our primary concern at 1Password is the security of your data and everything that we do is centered on the goal of keeping people safe.

The 1Password classic extension was last updated in 2019. It was built on older technologies and will not be compatible with future updates to web browsers. Our latest extension, 1Password in the browser, is in active development: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

1Password in the browser works with a 1Password membership and does not support old standalone vaults. 1Password 8, the current version of the app, is also designed to work with 1Password memberships and we don't have any plans to support old standalone vaults in the future. Our founder Dave wrote a great post explaining why a 1Password membership is the best option for most people: The future of local/standalone vaults — 1Password Support Community

You can read more about upgrading to a 1Password 8 and an account here: Upgrade to 1Password 8

Anybody a little techno aware, that follow the news, or work in the security field want to protect their private life and don't want their most secrets stuff in the cloud.

A 1Password account is different from other services that you may have used because all of the data that you store in 1Password is end-to-end encrypted. None of your data leaves your devices without that encryption first being applied, and only you have the ability to decrypt your data because only you have a copy of the secrets that encrypt and decrypt that data. Even if 1Password.com was compromised in the future all that the attackers would be able to extract is encrypted gibberish.

You can read more about our security design here: Find Out How Safe 1Password Really Is

Unlike older standalone vaults that are only protected using your password, your 1Password account data is protected and encrypted using a secret that is derived from both your account password and your Secret Key. This makes using a 1Password account vault much more secure than using an older standalone vault. You're also able to further secure your 1Password account using two-factor authentication, something that you can't do with standalone vaults.

I am not allowed to put some professional credentials to the cloud by my employer for security.

I would encourage your employer to reach out to our business team to discuss this in more detail, we have tailored solutions available for organizations of all sizes: business@1password.com

We do recognize that some folks may have use cases that might better fit the local self-hosted model. If you're interested then we'd like to hear more about your use case and why a self-hosted option would work better for you: Self-hosted 1Password kick-starter

All that being said, it's important that you use a tool that fits your personal threat model and that you feel comfortable with. If that isn't 1Password then I hope that you find another service to help you protect the most important information in your life. I wish you all the best.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.