What is the purpose of 'New Item / Password'?

Options

New user here so I may be missing something. But with the desktop ap (3.9.6) you can select 'New Item' then 'Password'. It throws up a box with a password in with some text boxes you can complete and then gives the option to 'Save'.

Once saved though I only seem to be able to retrieve it with a search. The record doesn't seem to 'go' anywhere. What is the purpose of this and why would you save a record that you cannot see unless you use 'Find'? I've had a look round the forums and the help but can't seem to find a use for this 'facility'.

Surely if you wanted a new password for a new site you'd just use the browser generator. I could maybe see some uses for the 'New Item / New Password' function IF you could see the records you saved as a result.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good question! File > New Item > New Password creates a Generated Password item. Generated Password items are generally a safety net for Login items.

A Generated Password item is created each time you click the "Save" button in the generator (within the app) or the "Fill" button within the generator in the browser extension. You can toggle its display in the sidebar if you wish (Preferences > General > Display in Sidebar > Generated Passwords).

I hope that helps explain the situation a bit better. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member
    Options

Ah OK, got it now I think. Likely you could be doing something that's not a website, or is maybe a webform requirement that won't be a log in and such, but needs a password. Good way to generate one quickly and note it down. Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cheers! Glad I could help with this. :D

This discussion has been closed.