Unable to upgrade to 1Password 8 on macOS 10.14.6

Options
AlanTheBeast
AlanTheBeast
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
  1. Because of a lingering h/w and s/w compatibility issue with this iMac, I cannot upgrade beyond Mac OS 10.14.6.
  2. I just tried to install 1Password v. 8.
  3. It will not install unless I upgrade my Mac OS to 10.15
  4. See 1. above. (And no, this cannot be fixed or I lose more important s/w use).

And as of July 1, the software that I PAID for will cease to work (at least in browsers), according to messages I've been getting. Will the main 1Password v. 7 work, at least so I'll have access to my passwords? Will I be borked?

I've exported my PW's (etc) to a flat CSV file as a precaution.

But I can't tell you how outraged I am at this situation.

Switching to a "rent" model is frankly EVIL - Everything was fine up until this MONEY GRAB action. I was quite happy using Dropbox as the vault - don't need to "rent" space from Agilebits.

I guess I'll just begin migrating to the no-charge Apple password management scheme and otherwise extract data from 1Password that is critical.

1Password Version: Not Provided - Can't upgrade to 8 - because BORKED
Extension Version: Not Provided - Irrelevant because BORKED
_OS Version: OS 10.14.6
_Browser: Irrelevant - I'm BORKED.

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @AlanTheBeast! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're unable to upgrade to 1Password 8 on your older Mac. macOS Catalina 10.15 or later is indeed the minimum version required by the latest app. macOS 10.14.6 appears to have been last updated by Apple almost two years ago and I would recommend updating to a more recent version of macOS since you're missing quite a few severe security and bug updates.

I do understand that not everyone is able to upgrade their Mac but I hope that you find a way to do so in the future.

And as of July 1, the software that I PAID for will cease to work (at least in browsers), according to messages I've been getting. Will the main 1Password v. 7 work, at least so I'll have access to my passwords? Will I be borked?

That message would be referring to the old "classic" extension for Firefox and Chromium browsers. The 1Password classic extension was last updated in 2019. It was built on older technologies and will not be compatible with future updates to web browsers. Our latest extension, 1Password in the browser, is in active development: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

Note that 1Password in the browser is designed to work with a 1Password.com account and doesn't work with old standalone vaults.

The 1Password 7 for Mac app will continue to work however, with the release of 1Password 8, it is no longer supported and isn't receiving regular updates.

I was quite happy using Dropbox as the vault - don't need to "rent" space from Agilebits.

1Password 8 does not support old standalone vaults and does indeed require a 1Password subscription. We ran up against the limits of standalone vaults and what they could support technologically and we introduced 1Password.com to push what 1Password can do forward. 1Password.com is much more secure and easier to use than the old standalone vault system.

1Password.com memberships are the future of 1Password and you can read some of our founder Dave's thoughts here: The future of local/standalone vaults — 1Password Support Community

It sounds like you have a license for 1Password 7, we're currently offering big discounts on 1Password memberships to users who have been using our licensed version of 1Password. It you're interested then send in an email to support+tradein@1password.com so that our billing team can offer you a heavily discounted 1Password membership. 😊

-Dave

• AlanTheBeast
    AlanTheBeast
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - nice to know I'm not totally borked.
    Until I upgrade to a new Mac (waiting for an M3 iMac or M3 Studio or even Mini) I won't be able to upgrade the OS. (I'll be keeping this iMac (2012) for at least a few more years to support an app that is unlikely to move to Apple Silicon).
    Frankly, the notion that standalone vaults are not useful smacks of BS to me. My vault runs about 400 kB. Nothing in today's world.
    The discount offer is not useful to me at present, alas.
    As it is I may need to write my own app to quickly access passwords. I'll write a basic encryption scheme for the interim. Not sure I'll be able to get that running on my iPhone, alas, but I can move the most used stuff to the Apple keychain.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Standalone vaults were useful back in the day but don't have the ability to support features like secure family sharing, two-factor authentication, and more. They're also less secure since they're only protected using a user-created password while a 1Password account is protected using both your account password and a 128-bit Secret Key.

That being said, thank you for the feedback. I've shared your thoughts with the team. 🙂

-Dave

• AlanTheBeast
    AlanTheBeast
    Community Member
    Options

I am standalone. No family sharing needed. 1Password + Dropbox was a perfect solution. Better would be a 256 bit key, obviously, generated with a non-trivial password (as mine are). Don't need TFA - indeed that could cause issues while travelling if I lose my phone.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Don't need TFA - indeed that could cause issues while travelling if I lose my phone.

Two-factor authentication is only needed the first time that you add your 1Password account to a device, after that you only need to enter your account password to unlock the app.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.