My password worked at 1password.com, but not in app on iPad or Mac

Options
ptmguelph
ptmguelph
Community Member
edited July 2023 in iOS

I have been using 1Password for a few months now and it has been working great on my Mac mini, MacBook Air, iPhone and iPad. Periodically, it asks me to sign in again, presumably for security purposes. That has happened many times over the months on my various devices and I've had no trouble signing back in again until a couple of weeks ago. I first had a problem signing in on my Macbook Air. I was trying to login to the website of a video streaming site and on their login page, "Use 1Password?" popped up, so I clicked on the 1Password icon in the username field and was asked then to login first to 1Password. I entered my password and it was rejected.
I have never changed my password and I entered it several times, but it kept getting rejected. I even pulled out my 1Password Emergency Kit and made sure I was entering the password exactly correctly. Same thing happened today on my iPad, again with several attempts.
Just now, I was able to login at 1password.com using Safari on my Mac mini with the same password with no trouble. To double-check, I went to my MacBook, pulled up the 1Password app and was able to login OK. Go figure!
So I then went to my iPad, got the iPassword app there and was also able to login OK.
So it seemed that the problem was occurring when I tried to login to another account using the browser, rather than when I logged into the iPassword app itself. So I then went to that same streaming website using Safari and logged out of it. When I then asked to login to it again, 1Password popped up and filled in my credentials OK.
But what is going to happen the next time 1Password is asking me to re-login? Will my password be rejected? Will I have to pull up the 1Password app and login there?

1Password Version: 8.10.8
Extension Version: 2.12.0
OS Version: macOS 13.4.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hello @ptmguelph! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble unlocking 1Password on your Mac and iPad. By default, the 1Password app will ask you for your account password at least every 2 weeks. This is done so that you regularly use your password, reducing the risk that you'll forget it.

It sounds like everything is working now, is that correct? Are you now able to unlock 1Password on both your Mac and iPad? Can you also tell me if you've enabled either Touch ID or Face ID unlock on your iPad and Touch ID unlock on your Mac?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• ptmguelph
    ptmguelph
    Community Member
    Options

So far, things are OK on my MacBook, but I'm still having problems on my iPad. I've attached a screenshot to illustrate the problem. As you'll see, I was trying to login at a site called Shopper+. On the website's login page, the 1Password icon appears in the Username field, but rather than filling in the username and password, it pops up with "Use 1Password". When I click on the icon, I then get a popup asking me to enter my password for 1Password. When I enter it, you can see that it is not accepted. If I try tapping on the "eye" icon to show what I have entered, the icon just disappears and the password is not revealed. But I've done this so many times I'm quite sure I've entered the correct password.

If I pull up the 1Password app, I am able to login to it OK. It's just when I'm using Safari to login to a website that this problem occurs.

When I use my MacBook to login to this same website, and I click on the 1Password icon in the website's Username field, I get a popup asking me to use either Touch ID or my 1Password account password. If I select the latter option, I get the same popup as on the iPad, but when I enter my password, it's accepted. I have no idea what's causing the problem on the iPad. Incidentally, I have enabled Touch ID on the iPad as well, but in this situation I'm not offered the option of using it.

Here's the screenshot:

• Dave_1P
    Options

@ptmguelph

Thank you for the reply and for posting the screenshot. It looks like 1Password for Safari is having trouble authenticating on your iPad. Please try the following steps:

1. Fully close Safari on iOS.
    2. Fully close 1Password on iOS.
    3. Open and unlock the main 1Password app from your home screen.
    4. Open Safari and go to any webpage.
    5. Tap on the 1Password icon in Safari's address bar at the top of the screen (not in a username/login field on a website).
    6. Follow the prompt to unlock 1Password for Safari with your account password.

Does this resolve the issue or do you see the same message? I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• ptmguelph
    ptmguelph
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that fixed it, Dave. When I tapped on the b1Password icon in the address bar, this time it asked me to use Touch ID, which worked to unlock 1Password for Safari and let me use it to fill in my login credentials.
    Thanks so much for your help!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@ptmguelph

I'm happy that I was able to help. Don't hesitate to post again if you run into any other issues. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.