Clipboard History on Samsung Keyboard

Options
loggor
loggor
Community Member

Is there a way to prevent the passwords from being saved in the keyboard's clipboard history?

There is that option to remove from the clipboard after n seconds. But that doesn't keep the password or whatever that was copied from being stored in the clipboard history.

Important:

• I'm talking specifically of Samsung's Keyboard on a S23 Ultra in this case.
  • I usually use Gboard, but if I change keyboards and go to the Samsung original the past copied items are there

1Password Version: 8.10.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @loggor, thanks for writing in. My apologies for the delay in reply.

The "Clear clipboard" setting clears single-item clipboards by copying a blank value, " ", to the clipboard. Multi-item clipboards, such as Samsung's, prove more difficult as they can store copied values beyond where 1Password can clear them. Some devices also have a clipboard manager running in the background which can retain copied values separately. While it may not work with every device or clipboard manager, we're currently working on some changes to be able to clear the clipboard in as many places as we can.

One way to prevent information from being saved to the clipboard is to use Autofill where supported and split screen mode to drag and drop where it isn't.

With Samsung Keyboard you can also clear the clipboard manually:
    1. Tap a text field to open the keyboard.
    2. Tap the clipboard icon. If you don't see a clipboard icon select the three horizontal dots then check for the clipboard option there.
    3. Tap the trash icon then select All or specific values and proceed with deleting them.

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy I imagine that it's more complicated than it looks. The worse is that even though I use Gboard, Samsung keeps track of the copied items in the background, so to clear those items from the history I need to switch keyboards and then delete the history.

• Thanks for following up with me @loggor.

When I've had the chance to chat with our devs about this, it is certainly more complex than it appears on the surface. As you mentioned, some devices hold copied values in the clipboard manager where there may not be options to clear them other than manually. To my knowledge, this is currently the only option the Samsung clipboard manager provides. I would agree switching back and forth between keyboards to do so is less than ideal.

To help with that process, you can add a keyboard button to the navigation bar:
    1. Open device settings.
    2. Select General management > Keyboard list and default.
    3. Set Keyboard button on navigation button on.

When you focus a text field you should now see a keyboard icon in the bottom corner. Tapping it allows for "hot swapping" between keyboards.

This discussion has been closed.