1Password and Safari 17 web-app

Options
Spn13
Spn13
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello.
Will 1P support Safari 17 web apps? On the current version, the account selection button does not appear, there is also no extension icon, passwords are not filled in using the shortcut (Cmd + ).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Spn13! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Thank you for the report! I'm not running the macOS Sonoma beta myself but the last time that I checked Safari 17 web apps don't support Safari extensions so you won't see the extension icon in a web app.

Universal AutoFill not working with Safari 17 web apps has been reported before and I've added your report to the internal work item that our developers have open to investigate this further. Hopefully we can improve how filling works with Safari web apps in the future, in the meantime you'll need to copy and paste your username and password into the web app.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#23349
    ref: 34620133

• Spn13
    Spn13
    Community Member
    Options

Thankโ€™s

• Thank you again for bringing this topic forward and reporting the issue. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• spipes
    spipes
    Community Member
    Options

As this is a pretty important new feature of MacOS I hope 1Password works with it soon. Tks

• @spipes

Thank you, I've passed your comment along to the team. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#23349

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to this request.

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

@michaelyork

Thank you, I've passed along your request. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

I got all excited that I could use my favourite web app as an app then realised I could easily login.

Just adding my vote for this but recognise it could be an Apple limitation.

Thank you for your support.

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@iwaddo

Thank you for adding your voice. I've let the team know that you're eager to see Universal Autofill support in Safari 17 web apps.

For now, you can drag and drop your username and password from the 1Password app into the Safari web app. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• smartboy
    smartboy
    Community Member
    Options

When I did a comparison between Safari web app and Chrome app shortcut, I noticed that in Chrome web app (shortcut) I noticed that the extensions (and especially 1P) are there. And this is not the case for Safari web apps. As mentioned, using web apps is great. And because of using or not the extension, I will certainly pick chrome โ€ฆ But I wonder why Apple did that limitation (not supporting extension) in web app ? Phil.

• neilwjsimpson
    neilwjsimpson
    Community Member
    Options

Just posted same issue! Autofill would be great in Safari web apps

• Also worth trying Quick Access. I've posted about this in this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/696797/#Comment_696797

โ€” Grey

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jac_pd_1p.

Any developments on this? It's been over a month since your reply and my dock is full of Safari Web Apps that don't work with 1P. Is there a place we can track this progress?

• palurie
    palurie
    Community Member
    Options

Please add my vote for Safari web app support for 1Password. I am forced to use Apple Keychain...
    Peter

• @palurie

Thank you, I've passed your request along to the team as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• ianto
    ianto
    Community Member
    Options

@smartboy Apple doesn't really have a limitation here. They offer a Credential Provider API that 1Password currently does not support on macOSโ€”only on iOS. So system-wide Autofill isn't working on Sonoma right now.

(I am sure they will see the right path ahead some day though :D)

• smartboy
    smartboy
    Community Member
    Options

@ianto. Yes they (Apple) do not support extensions in Safari for the new web app. As the opposite in Chrome, in the created web app, you can see the Extensions icon ob the right and of course, you can see the 1P icon in the identifier/password fiealds. So you are certainly right 1P is going to use an API. However, there is always the problem to find an item in 1P that will match your URL and possibly multiple ID.

• curtknox
    curtknox
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates on this? Lack of support is a killer. what's the rationale for not supporting Apple's webapps? Has this issue been escalated in your queue?

• Thank you for the follow up. We're currently testing Universal Autofill support for Safari 17 web apps on macOS Sonoma with the latest nightly version of 1Password for Mac.

If testing goes well then the feature will be made available in the beta and then the stable versions. If you'd like to help test the feature then you can follow these steps, selecting nightly rather than beta: https://support.1password.com/betas/

Thanks again for all of the feedback! ๐Ÿ’™

-Dave