I can't start wayland-native version of 1Password.

2»

Comments

• barraponto
    barraponto
    Community Member

Got 1password working on wayland with the ELECTRON_OZONE_PLATFORM_HINT environment variable just fine. But another caveat I'd like to add to the list is the "Show in Large Type" feature does not work.

• senekor
    senekor
    Community Member

My yearly subscription will renew soon. The reason I pay for a password manager at all is because the most important thing about a pwm is that it must integrate with a lot of different software. Browser, clipboard... 1Password even integrates with SSH and many CLI tools, which is fantastic. That integration takes continuous effort, so the paid subscription model makes sense to me.

That being said, I am completely baffled that Wayland is not supported yet. (And please don't claim a paid pwm supports Wayland while clipboard doesn't work.) Wayland has been the default on all major Linux distributions for years now. A lot of 1Password's features target developers which heavily use Linux (comparable to Windows by most estimates). So by not supporting Wayland, it seems to me 1Password is delivering a sub-standard experience to a large chunk of its core audience. I don't mind janky XWayland apps when they're open source, but paying for one? It doesn't feel right at this point in time.

I'd love to know if I'll be getting my money's worth in the coming year. Maybe someone from 1Password would like to share more details about what's blocking the wayland clipboard support? Remember, a lot of your customers are devs, don't spare the technical details. What's wrong with shelling out to wl-clipboard? It even has a --paste-once flag, which seems like its purpose-built for passwords.