Fresh Install OS X, 1Password-6.8.9.pkg + License.onepassword-license. How To

Options
robiv8
robiv8
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hello,
my computer broke and now I have a new one with fresh OS X 13.5. I still have the 1Password 6 pkg file and the corresponding license file. (License.onepassword-license).
How do I install this.
And YES, I know that the new Safari does not support it. But I don't need it.

A little help would be nice.
With kind regards
Robert

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.5
Browser: Safari & Chrome

Comments

• Hello @robiv8! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that your computer broke. 1Password 6 received its last update in 2018 and is no longer supported. I recommend that you upgrade to 1Password 8 in order to stay secure and take advantage of the latest bug fixes and features: Upgrade to 1Password 8

That being said, you should be able to apply the old license by double-clicking on the license file to open 1Password and license your copy. Or, you can launch 1Password if it isn't already open, and click 1Password > License and install it that way.

If that doesn't work, please send an email to support+forum@1Password.com and our support team will try to help as far as possible. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

• robiv8
    robiv8
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    Too bad to hear that, A subscription is out of the question.
    After more than 10 years of 1Password, I will have to switch to another provider who offers full versions for a one-time purchase.
    Thanks for the info and all the best.

With kind regards
    Robert Domic

Chris Jackson wrote:

Hi Robert,

I'm so sorry you're still having trouble. It's likely you've run into an incompatibility issue with the version of macOS you have installed. 1Password 6 isn't supported on any version of macOS released after 2018, so if you are using a more recent version such as macOS Ventura, it's highly likely the app won't function correctly. There isn't a fix for this issue.

If you want to be able to access your data, you could instead install 1Password 7, however as you don't have a 1Password membership you'll only be able to view your data. You won't be able to add or edit items -

Download 1Password 7
    Ultimately if you want to use a fully supported version of 1Password on your Mac, I would recommend switching to a 1Password membership. I can see you've already been offered the 50% deal, so if you want to go ahead with that just let us know.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Chris Jackson

• @robiv8

1Password.com memberships are indeed the future of 1Password and you can read some of our founder Dave's thoughts here: What is the future of local/standalone vaults? — 1Password Support Community

Thank you for spending 10 wonderful years with us, we're sad to see you go. I hope that you continue to use a password manager to keep yourself safe online, even if that isn't 1Password in the future.

If you have any other questions then please reply to the last email from our support team and they would be happy to help further. To prevent having the same conversation in two places at once I'm closing this thread.

-Dave

ref: JIX-97513-558

This discussion has been closed.