Any plans for having the app available outside the Play Store?

Options
problemyarngrumbly
problemyarngrumbly
Community Member
edited August 2023 in Android

I've been trying to degoogle as of late, but one of the biggest hurdles is 1Password. While I do understand that Google Play Services is needed for the app, in my experience, turning off Google Play Services on my device seems to have no impact on the app's ability operate. In fact, the Google Play Store never even complains about 1Password not being able to work properly without Google Play Services. Nevertheless, it's only available via the Play Store, and any attempts in trying to get the app via another website (APKMirror, APKPure, etc.) end up with the app crashing whenever I try to open it after updating it. I'm not sure if there's some sort of verification going on with apps originally from the Play Store when you update them or not, but 1Password isn't the only app that I have this problem with.

With that being said, are there any plans for making 1Password for Android available outside of the Play Store as of yet? Not just on another app store, like the App Gallery, but as a direct APK, or maybe even something like an F-Droid repository. I'm really loving 1Password and I would hate to say goodbye because I can't keep the app up to date because I'm trying to say goodbye to Google.

1Password Version: 8.10.12 Beta
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OneUI 5.1 (Android 13)
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @problemyarngrumbly, thanks for writing in!

I can definitely understand your interest in seeing 1Password for Android officially available outside of the Google Play Store. There would be some hurdles to overcome to make sure everything is in order for such a move, but certainly nothing insurmountable. That being said, we tend to keep details about this sort of thing pretty close to the chest, and I don't have any specifics to share on the matter at this time.

To your point, the core features and functions of 1Password for Android do not require Google Play Services to function. Some features, such as QR scanning, may not be available without Play Services but you should be able to Autofill and otherwise operate the app. I will note that ROMs, such as Calyx or Graphene, can introduce additional issues as 1Password for Android is designed for and tested with Android proper.

While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, I'd be happy to submit a request on your behalf to show interest in making 1Password available outside of the Google Play Store. You've laid out a clear case as to why this important for you, but if you'd like to include any additional details, I'd be happy to include that as well. Thanks again!

• problemyarngrumbly
    problemyarngrumbly
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, @ag_timothy, thanks for the info! As of now, I don't have any other details that I can think of, but thank you for passing it along!

• I'm happy I could be of assistance! Let us know if we can help with anything else.

This discussion has been closed.